The 5 Things All Puppy Parents Should Keep on Hand at All Times
Whether you’re a puppy parent or not, we can all agree that every dog has a different personality. Their daily to-dos and desires might be simpler than ours, but their taste levels definitely vary. Certain toys, foods, snacks and beds just don’t fit the bill. Maybe your pup’s mouth is too small to actually grab a tennis ball, or maybe they prefer being pampered to playing fetch. But there’s one thing that is pretty darn universal — our dogs unanimously choose wholesome snacks and food made with real chicken and salmon over ones that are made using corn, soy and wheat products. That’s why we were pumped to team up with Beyond Snacks to share all sorts of intel about what your dog really needs and wants. Before we get that list though, we thought we’d share the particularities of our puppies’ preferences through a very silly video. A coming-of-age tale of friendship, if you will. Prepare for cuteness overload.
Now that we’ve put a smile on your face, here’s our list of staples that puppy parents should keep on hand at all times. And it’s always a good idea to keep a few spares so that you can share with dog sitters and keep in the car, at your desk and so on.
1. This Totes Bespoke Upcycled Leash: I’ve personally been guilty of using the same basic black leash ever since we bought it at a gas station on a road trip with our pup, Turkey. But that ‘ish is lame, and your pup’s got style points he wants to show off! For this orange number, we turned a thick piece of rope into a leash. Just takes a little elbow grease. And if you can’t make your own, do a little Internet sleuthing and you can easily find a whole bunch of options made from recycled climbing ropes and recycled canvas.
<b>Your Pup’s Favorite Snacks</b>In the world of dog treats, not all snacks are created equal. Luckily, some (really awesome!) snacks like Beyond All Natural Biscuits are made in small batches using real salmon or chicken as the #1 ingredient. And you can forget about artificial colors, flavors or preservatives — these bodacious bites are all natural. According to our resident pups, Brie and Turkey, both the All Natural Biscuits Salmon Oats Recipe and All Natural Biscuits Chicken and Barley Recipe are the bee’s knees. Turkey is visibly stoked that Purina sent us these treats :)
3. A Cushy Bed That’s Easy to Transport: If you love taking your dog on road trips or even to the office every day, then you definitely need a cushy bed that’s easy to transport. Your dog knows his smell and his stuff, so it’s best to keep a bed, blanket or cushion as a constant. We also recommend opting for a bed made using all natural and recycled products — the less chemicals, dyes and mystery materials, the better!
4. A Dog Bowl That’s Just the Right Size: This is particularly important when your dog’s got crazy long ears like little Turkey. When a bowl is way too big, his ears end up getting dunked in the water, which is cute at the time, but not ideal. You also want to make sure to choose a bowl that relates to how much food or water your pup should be eating or drinking. Bonus points if you go for an eco-friendly bowl like this one.
<b>Dog Food That Boasts Natural Ingredients:</b>Beyond Natural Dry Dog Food also boasts natural ingredients, including real chicken and salmon. Every batch is made using only healthy, nutritious and delicious ingredients and is crafted in US facilities.
Pocket doors are so delightful in and of themselves. They appear when you need them, get tucked away when you don't, and make it easy to define rooms while keeping an open floor plan. Add to the pocket door a joyful patterned wallpaper surprise, and you will be sent right into fits of visual jubilation! Or something ;) Today we're sharing two simple and impactful pocket door makeovers that zhuzh up your space in a jiffy.
Anjelika Temple here, co-founder of Brit + Co and proud owner of several pocket doors! When I moved into my first real grown-up house a couple years ago, I knew I wanted to incorporate wallpaper so reached out to our friends at Chasing Paper to see how we might collaborate. It felt like a total lightbulb moment when I realized I could create a surprise pop of pattern on a couple sets of pocket doors.
Not only is it a whimsical way to bring color into a space, but the doors double as picture-perfect backdrops for all your SFH (selfies from home, obvs).
A few pro tips about install:
- Removable wallpaper is miraculously forgiving! You can take it on and off multiple times without it losing integrity (or mucking up your surface).
- I ordered this adhesive wallpaper installation kit with a squeegee and xacto knife and it worked super well. I also recommend a sharp pair of scissors for cutting longer lines.
- This is a two-person job! Get a friend, put on a playlist, and get ready to bond.
- Wild, organic patterns like Tally are great because it's challenging to spot any imperfections in pattern alignment; keep pattern choice in mind if you've got a lot of corners to match up. More geometric patterns and larger shapes leave less room for error (but are awesome in their own right!).
BATHROOM POCKET DOORS
In our primary bathroom, we chose the wallpaper pattern Tally, designed by Kelly Ventura, in White and Navy. In our space, the navy reads as a soft black, which is perfect for the space. It's easy to combine an ever-rotating collection of linens with the Tally pattern.
I love how the white trim becomes the perfect frame around this pocket door piece of art.
My favorite moment in this space is the fact that you actually get a third pop of pattern thanks to our serendipitously placed mirror!
And yes, this one works pretty darn well as a backdrop too ;)
LIVING ROOM DOUBLE DOORS
This set of doors is definitely a focal point of our home. It separates our living room from our primary bedroom which opens onto our backyard. The doors are pretty much always open, but when they're closed we wanted to evoke a fun, nature-inspired vibe. With that in mind, we selected the Lines and Moons pattern by Thimblepress in Green and Brown.
Earth mama vibes up in here! I love how the shapes and colors echo the ferns you see through the windows and the acorn wood details throughout the house.
Love this pattern moment, and xacto-ing out the door handle is def on the oddly satisfying DIY list.
For a pattern lover like me, I love that now I have this instant photo backdrop!
Thanks to Chasing Paper for providing these rolls of pure pattern amazingness. Head to chasingpaper.com to find our own favorites and start adding patterns to your home!
(Wallpaper wingwoman: Kayla Haykin; Photography: Kurt Andre)