30 New Year’s Eve Baby Names That Are Ready to Party
It’s that time again: Time to reflect on the past 12 months and look forward to the New Year ahead with a clear mind, hopeful heart and strong resolve. If you’re expecting around New Year’s Eve, it’s also a great time to consider some extra meaningful baby names. We’re sharing 30 of the most festive, hopeful andcreative baby names to capture the joyful sentiment of the season.
New Year’s Eve-Themed Boys’ Names
1. Alden: If you give birth on New Year’s Eve or Day, this name is a perfect subtle nod to “Auld Lang Syne.” It also means “old, wise friend,” which encapsulates the very meaning of the NYE song.
2. Asher: This well-liked Hebrew name means “fortunate, blessed, happy one.” Who could ask for more in the New Year?
3. Felix: Felicitations to the happy parents of this fortunate boy!
4. Gaius/Caius: Latin names like these, both of which mean “rejoice,” are great options for those looking for classic names that aren’t overly common today.
5. Gennaro: Not only is it Italian for the month of January, but it’s also the patron saint of Naples.
6. Isaac: This ever popular Hebrew name means “laughter,” which is one of the most joyous things you could wish upon a kid.
7. Janus: This January-ish name is shared with the ancient Roman god of new beginnings and transitions.
8. Levin: New Year’s Eve is all about spending time with dear friends, and that’s exactly what this German name means.
9. Neo/Neon: Whoa. Keanu was onto something. Similar in sound, both names mean “new,” which is perfect for NYE.
10. Novak: Another name meaning “new,” this Serbian moniker is a great option for fans of last names as first names.
11. Simcha: If you want to go old-school Hebrew, this name perfectly captures the spirit of New Year’s: gladness, mirth and festivity.
12. Tate: For fans of monosyllabic boys’ names, Tate is a strong choice meaning “cheerful.”
13. Vidal: It’s the perfect time of year to reflect on life itself, which is what makes this Spanish name so appropriate.
14. Von: Short and sweet, this boys’ name simply means “hope” in Norse.
15. Xavier: The future is “bright” for your little New Year’s baby.
New Year’s Eve-Themed Girls’ Names
1. Allegra: Let’s get this party started, little lady! Her name, meaning “joyous,” sets the tone for a happy life ahead.
2. Amal: Yup, the same as Mrs. Alamuddin Clooney’s first name. It’s Arabic for “hope.”
3. Dawn: It’s a new day and a new life: Give her this pretty name to match.
4. Esperanza: Similar in sound to the more popular Spanish name Esmeralda, this one translates to “hope” for your New Year’s babe.
5. Felicity: Felicity is bringing that Latin good fortune to the girls’ names as Felix did for the boys’ names.
6. Gala: Did you go into labor at a swanky New Year’s soiree? Name her after the event, and she’ll share the name with Salvador Dali’s wife.
7. Hilary/Hilaria/Ilaria: There are plenty of spelling alterations for this cheerful name.
8. Hope: Get right to the heart of the New Year with a classic.
9. Joy/Joyce: Same goes for these lovely ladies’ names.
10. Leta/Leda/Letitia: There are so many ways to express joy and gladness around the world. Here are a few that make great girls’ names.
11. Nadia/Nadine: Nadia is Russian for “hope,” while Nadine is the French way.
12. Nia: You might think this name is related to the masculine Neo, but it’s actually a Swahili name that translates to “resolve” — perfect for the time of New Year’s resolutions.
13. Nova: Nova, on the other hand, does mean “new” in Latin.
14. Revel: If you’re inspired by Rebel Wilson, but can’t actually give your daughter a troublemaker’s name, try Revel to celebrate the revelry of the New Year.
15. Viva: The New Year is all about cherishing life, making this lovely Latin name a beautiful choice.
Are you due around New Year’s Day? Share some of your favorite hopeful and celebratory names with us on Twitter @BritandCo!
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.