Looking to add a little lean protein to your life without making chicken… again? This cod dish is an easy and elegant meal to prepare that’s both healthy and flavorful. A crunchy almond coating adds texture, and the lemon-yogurt dill sauce brings added flavor. Not that there’s anything wrong with chicken, but it can show up a lot in the weekly rotation, and that could lead to dinner boredom and burnout. Variety is the spice of life, after all.
Healthy meals don’t have to be hard to come by, and cod is a great source of protein. It’s also low in fat and calories, and filled with healthy omega-3 fatty acids (all the things that are good for a heart-healthy diet). It’s easy to reach for chicken when it comes to making a nutritious meal, but don’t rule out cod. This dish is delicious and satisfying.
Baked Almond-Crusted Cod with Lemon-Yogurt Dill Sauce
From Patricia Conte, Brit + Co.
- 5 Tablespoons plain Greek yogurt, divided
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 teaspoons fresh dill, divided, plus extra as garnish (optional)
- salt and pepper to season
- 1/4 cup ground almonds
- 3 Tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 Tablespoons breadcrumbs (or almond meal)
- 2 (4-ounce) cod fillets
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Add a piece of parchment paper to a baking pan and set aside.
- To make the lemon-yogurt dill sauce, add 3 tablespoons of the Greek yogurt to a small bowl. Add the lemon juice and half the dill. Season with a pinch of salt and stir to combine. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Add the almonds to a food processor and pulse until small pieces form. Add the almonds, Parmesan, breadcrumbs, and half the dill to a bowl and toss to combine. Season with a bit of black pepper.
- Season each piece of the cod with salt and pepper. Place on the parchment-covered baking pan.
- Use a small brush to apply a thin layer of the remaining yogurt over the fillets. Use your hands to apply the almond mixture over the tops of the fillets, pressing down lightly so the coating sticks.
- Bake for 9-12 minutes, depending on how thick your fillets are, or until the fish flakes easily.
- Serve warm with a side of your favorite vegetables, and the lemon-yogurt dill sauce on the side.
Ready for more easy mealtime recipes? Follow us on Pinterest!
(Photos via Patricia Conte / Brit + Co)