As beauty lovers, we’re always on the hunt for top-notch advice about products that will really pull through for us on the reg. And who better to give us the scoop than pro makeup artists? No one! We tapped eight beauty industry mavens and asked them to dish on their fave under-the-radar beauty goodies. Keep scrolling for the gems and advice on how to make ’em work for you.
1. Mario Badescu Glycolic Acid Toner ($18): This toner will do wonders to exfoliate and renew your skin, leaving only a glowing, healthy complexion behind. Marsia Nogueira, owner of The Beauty Studio in Ludlow, MA, says, “After having scars from years of acne, I was almost at the point of giving up, until one day I tried the Mario Badescu Glycolic Acid Toner. After literally two days of using it, my jaw dropped when I saw the amazing results.”
2. Laura Mercier Illuminating Tinted Moisturizer ($44): Well-known for her healthy, glowing complexions, Aussie makeup artist and influencer Ania Milczarczyk is obsessed with this tinted moisturizer. “I can guarantee even if someone has found out about it and tried it, they’ve probably used it incorrectly and hated it,” explains Milczarczyk. “Rather than putting it all over the face, which would be way too shiny through the t-zone, I love to use it only on the cheeks, tip of the nose, and a little around the forehead as a subtle, but really beautiful highlight.” She taps it into her skin with her fingers and wears it alone or with a light base on top.
3. Chaos Makeup Neutral Glitter Free Pressed Highlighters ($18): Everyone loves a good highlight, especially when it’s an affordable find. Makeup artist Lauren Schroder gave us the in on this gem that she swears everyone should know about. “These multi-colored highlighters are pigmented and wear beautifully on the skin all day,” raves Schroder. “They apply smoothly to the skin, are finely milled, and give the right amount of color payoff, so when the light hits your cheekbones, you see that flash of purple, blue, and orange.”
4. Poni Cosmetics Brow Magic ($22): Mia Connor, who was 2015’s Makeup Artist of the Year in Australia, absolutely cannot live without this brow product. She adores the perfection of the shade, gushing,”It’s a nice ash color that doesn’t throw orange — the perfect shade for blondes!” She also mentioned that it’s almost impossible to apply too much, making it a safe option “if you aren’t too savvy with brow pencils.”
5. Pixi Glow Mist ($15): For Instagram makeup guru JKissa, one of the best-kept secrets is this hydrating, nourishing, and protecting glow mist. She totally digs it because “it gives you the prettiest, dewy finish to the skin thanks to the 21 natural oils, aloe vera, and fruit extracts.” Price point is also a great perk of this mist. “It performs like higher-end products, but is available at Target,” she says.
6. Maskcara Beauty Cream Blush ($12): From aesthetically pleasing packaging to products that deliver, these cream blushes are an absolute staple for makeup artist Marisa Rosemph. She’s sold on it because of its blending abilities, but added, “It’s pigmented so you can either use a lot or a little depending on your desired look! I use just a small amount on the apples of my cheeks to give a subtle, fresh glow that looks like a natural flush.” You can even pop a bit of this pigment onto your lips. Mwah!
7. Lucas’ Papaw Ointment ($12): For those moments when you have pesky dry skin, makeup artist Kate Blake recommends keeping this balm on-hand. “It’s great for really chapped lips and skin before applying makeup,” says Blake. “I put just a tiny bit on dry skin around the nose or the corners of the mouth/all over the lips, and it makes all the difference in how your makeup looks.”
8. Sonia Roselli Water Balm Skin Prep ($48): For makeup artist Jasmin Rahman, there’s no better option than this balm when searching for a seriously hydrating and healing moisturizer. “I have combination skin, but I get dry patches from acne medication and this will heal them overnight,” says Rahman. “It’s perfectly light to use on any skin type and doesn’t feel like a thick cream!” We’ll take it, girl.
Looking for more beauty recs? Follow us on Pinterest.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.