“Out with the old, in with the new” may be your latest mantra, but when it comes to beauty products, we’re still crushing on stuff that debuted in 2016. Those included game-changing hair and makeup goods that kept us from getting lax in the looks department and made our routines easier than ever. From an innovative hair dryer to a quick contouring stick, these eight products are the ones we’re holding on strong to this year. Scroll down and try one of our faves, soon to become one of yours too.
1. Rimmel London Wonderlash Volume Colourist Mascara ($7): Besides the OMG volume, this mascara stands out because it gradually darkens your lashes with each application. After two weeks, the natural colorant makes bare, invisible lashes more noticeable and darker, so you can feel free to skip mascara for a day or two.
2. Garnier Fructis Style Curl Stretch Loosening Pudding ($4): Got a head of curls? We love how you can loosen up tight ringlets into soft waves with this styling cream. The coconut oil formula ultra-moisturizes and relaxes curls minus the crunch, so they look wavy and stay that way, giving you plenty of styling options.
3. Dyson Supersonic Hair Dryer ($399): The debut of this genius dryer really changed our hair game in 2016. The patented, digital motor whirling technology never reaches hair-damaging temperatures and leaves your strands beyond healthy and shiny. But what makes it worth the hefty price tag is that your hair dries in record speed, you won’t wake another person in the room (it’s ultra-quiet) and your arm won’t feel weighed down while drying (it’s also surprisingly light). Done!
4.Yuni Hot Head Microveil Hair Treatment ($25): We’re loving this certified organic conditioning treatment that’s designed to work on your hair while you sweat, ultimately saving you time when you’re in the locker room. Spritz it before a workout session; as your body heat rises, cuticles open, allowing the argan oil rich formula to penetrate and repair strands, leaving them shinier and softer. Bonus: The calming aroma eases stress too.
5. Physicians Formula Super BB #InstaReady Contour Trio BB Stick SPF 30 ($13): If you’ve never gotten the hang of contouring, but are always jonesing to try it, well then meet your new makeup bestie. This lazy-girl stick has all three essential contouring shades in it; do one simple swipe along your cheekbones and boom — your face has the Kardashian makeup treatment, minus the complicated application.
6. Algenist Reveal Concentrated Color Correcting Drops ($38): Color-correcting is still a huge trend in makeup, and with these moisturizing drops (available in four shades), you can take it to the next level. The liquid formula has microalgae, which treats skin tone; use it alone or mix it with your fave moisturizer or foundation.
7. T3 Whirl Trio Interchangeable Styling Wand ($270): The issue with many curling irons is that you can’t create custom looks because of the one-size-fits-all barrel. This one puts that drama to rest, with interchangeable barrels that lock into place, letting you create glam waves, mermaid hair, defined spirals and anything with a bend. That, combined with ionic technology for shine and heat protection, make this tool the one we’ll keep around for years.
8. Smashbox Studio Skin 24 Hour Waterproof Concealer ($25): Your search for the perfect concealer stops here. We’re big fans of this medium-to-full one because it covers up imperfections magically (light diffusing particles blur lines and discolorations) and looks fab inside, outside and in the dark (thanks to rigorous light testing of the formula). If that doesn’t convince you, then perhaps this will: It’s waterproof, which means it lasts until you wash it off and won’t require a touch-up midday.
Looking for more New Year’s beauty inspo? Follow us on Pinterest!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.