3 Reasons to Add Beer to Your Beauty Routine
Beer lovers and at-home brewers, listen up: Your fave beverage can do more than just bring on the good times. Beauty products — including face masks, soap, and shampoo — can deliver extra benefits to your skin and hair with the addition of beer, hops, malt, and/or yeast to their ingredient list. To be clear, channeling your inner frat boy (AKA chugging brewski after brewski) def won’t help your skin, but incorporating infused products into your routine and mastering a few DIYs will have you thinking about this drank differently. Read on to find out just what a beauty brew can do for you, and then which products you need to stock up on.
1. Strengthen hair. If you want to get your hair extra healthy, beer could become your new go-to hair treatment — more on that below. The malt and hops are packed with proteins that improve the way your hair looks and feels. You’ll notice your tresses will look shinier and will feel softer and stronger.
2. Control oily skin. While we might not like the frothy foam in beer when we’re sipping, it actually gives your complexion a boost. The yeast that’s responsible for the froth is chock full of good-for-your-skin ingredients: vitamin B, protein, potassium, iron, zinc, and magnesium. It can also get sebum production under control if you are prone to oily skin.
3. Remove product build-up. Remove dirt and product build-up with a DIY clarifying beer hair rinse: Combine one ounce of beer, one ounce of water, two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar, and five drops of your fave essential oil (lemon and/or tea tree oil work well). Then, shampoo and rinse your locks like normal, but apply this solution as a secondary rinse to reveal squeaky-clean strands.
Now, are you ready to get shopping? Stock up on these beer products and see all the benefits for yourself (and don’t be surprised if your S.O. steals them!).
1. Lush Cynthia Sylvia Stout ($10): Dark beer fans: Meet your new favorite shampoo. This hair cleanser gives your locks a glossy, smooth look (even in the most humid of weather) thanks to protein from the organic, vegan stout.
2. BRÖÖ Craft Beer Barber Condi-Shave Hydrating Cream ($6): Use this foam-free cream in the shower as a pre-shaving conditioner. Apply it to your legs for a cleaner, smoother shave that will also keep you fuzz-free for longer. The formula contains craft beer, which helps to keep your skin silky smooth.
3. People’s Soap Beer Soap ($8-10): This handmade cleanser features stout, oats, shea butter, argan oil, and jojoba oil to exfoliate and moisturize the skin.
Follow us on Pinterest for more beauty inspo and info.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)