The 20 Best International Women’s Day Gifts That Give Back
Ladies — March 8 is our day. Whether you’re an on-the-go mom, a hustling boss, or a millennial in your first job, International Women’s Day is a time to celebrate your achievements, day-to-day hustles, and everything you do. This goes for the other amazing women in your life too. While no purchased goods can truly measure up to the insurmountable things they bring to the table, these gifts that give back are the next best thing. Each comes equipped with a special mission that impacts and empowers other women across the globe, so you’ll feel good about what you’re investing in. Scroll down to snag something fun for your favorite ladies.
1. Purpose Jewelry Chevron Necklace ($28): This metallic accessory will quickly become a wardrobe staple. Style aside, each purchase goes towards supporting International Sanctuary (AKA iSanctuary), a non-profit that helps women who’ve escaped sex trafficking. With each piece made by a survivor of trafficking, she’ll carry her strength with her every time she puts it on.
2. Good Paper You Complete Me Card ($6): Each of the sweet card options by Good Paper has a made-with-love touch from women in the Philippines who, like the aforementioned group, are survivors of sex trafficking. So stock up on a few for all the ladies you know to spread the word of their powerful cause.
3. The Little Market Wood Carvers of Kenya Soapstone Heart Dish ($12): This chic ring dish is the perfect lil’ something for any lady in your life. Backed by a mission to support word carvers and their families in Kenya, it’s one decor item you’ll feel good about giving without a doubt.
4. The Little Market Roots of Creation Heart Bottle Stopper ($12): Here’s the perfect add-on to a basic bottle of wine, handcrafted by fair trade artisans in Cape Town, South Africa. Throw in a cute bottle bag, and you’ll have a complete gift set.
5. Ten Thousand Villages Love Lives Here Pillow ($40): Spread the love all the way to that comfy sofa you love to spend time on. This pillow comes from the Rishilpi non-profit, which aims to provide relief work for women in rural Bangladesh. You better believe each option is made with some true TLC.
6. Article 22 Courage Bracelet ($30): For the woman who’s had the strength to power through all sorts of scenarios comes this encouraging necklace. Bonus: Your purchase will support Laotian artisans, help them empower their own communities, and assist with clearing landmines.
7. Bombas Women’s Lightweight Crew Socks ($14): This cozy apparel staple (and a cute one at that!) has more to it than meets the eye. For every pair bought, the company will provide the homeless community with a pair of specially engineered socks designed to be antimicrobial and hard-wearing. So the more you buy, the more you give. (Socks for everyone!)
8. Indego Africa Pink Plateau Basket ($60): This isn’t your average basket. Beyond being colorful and gorgeous, it’s made for you by a Rwandan artisan, with profits going to fund educational opportunities for the crafters. We’re all for it.
9. 31 Bits Sundance Bangle ($32): Spruce up her stacking game with the Sundance bangle. The handmade paper beads and the brass pendants all come to you from artisans based in Uganda and Bali. Since the bracelet comes in three unique variations, you’ll have a gift sure to satisfy any style preference.
10. Prosperity Candle Washi Tea Tin ($18): You can hardly go wrong with a candle — and a meaningful one at that. Each of these washi tea tins is hand-poured by refugees working to rebuild their lives in the US. With several scent selections and patterns to choose from, you have an excuse to treat her to more than one.
11. Nena & Co No. 4 Artisan Fringe Keychain ($24): She’s the key to your friend circle, so we love the idea of gifting something that honors just that. Each of these fringe keychains is made with loomed fabrics from a Guatemalan artisan. Weaving is an essential part of their livelihood, which you’ll support with your purchase.
12. Life Is Good Women’s Power In Kindness Aly Tee ($32): We couldn’t be more proud of Olympic gymnast Aly Raisman’s mission to strengthen those around her. Raisman’s t-shirt line was created to encourage others to wear their confidence everywhere, making it the only thing we’ll want to be seen in this International Women’s Day.
13. Land of a Thousand Hills Nziza Collective Microlot Coffee ($16+): She loves her morning cup of joe, and she loves uplifting others: This gift fulfills both tasks. The Nziza Collective is made up of over 200 women who are the sole providers for their families. Consider it a delicious way to help others.
14. Yellow Leaf Vineyard Haven Hammock ($299): This may not be the most obvious option with cold weather still on the horizon — but come summer, it’s one she’s sure to love. That it’s powered with the goal of creating ethical jobs for women in poverty is one more reason she will enjoy it.
15. Love Goodly Subscription Box ($30+/box): Give her something that extends beyond the date of March 8. This subscription box delivers nontoxic, cruelty-free beauty and skincare products to her door every other month. The company was started by two moms looking to make more conscious product consumption choices; couple that with a contribution to a worthy cause for each purchase made, and it’s a box she’ll feel good about in more ways than one.
16. Parker Clay Everly Cross Body ($88): A versatile crossbody bag is an everyday must-have. Grab one with a social cause: All of this California based company’s products are handmade in Ethiopia to help support workers and communities there. The company also partners with Ellilta International, a non-profit that provides women in Ethiopia alternatives to and rehabilitation from the sex industry.
17. Love Your Melon Beanie ($50): Keep her head (and heart) warm with a beanie that benefits pediatric cancer research. Fifty percent of all Love Your Melon profits are given to partners promoting initiatives to end cancer in our kiddos. If that wasn’t a compelling enough reason to buy, it certainly doesn’t hurt that the hat is super cute to boot.
18. Bloom & Give Santorini Silk Cotton Scarf ($65): Speaking of accessories, this pretty pick will look flattering on her from season to season. Plus, 10 percent of every purchase directly helps send girls in India to school. Education and a new accessory? You can’t beat that.
19. Global Goods Partners Gray Bone Inlay Tray ($72+): Kick off cocktail night on the right foot! This serving tray is equipped to hold all of her favorite snacks and beverages, while benefiting women artisans in the process. Global Goods Partners uses their platform to generate grants to these ladies to build a sustainable employment stream. If there ever was a reason to support small business, this is it!
20. The Bumble Bouquet ($48+): A nice bouquet of flowers can brighten up any day, and this one supports women beyond its recipient. The Bumble x UrbanStems collection bouquets are filled with sunny blooms, and $5 from every purchase will go to Women for Women International, an organization that helps women affected by war or violence.
What feel-good items are you eyeing? Let us know @BritandCo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.