How to Copy the 11 Best Red Carpet Manicures (So Far)
Recreating your favorite red carpet beauty looks in under 10 minutes *is* possible, but braiding + pinning your tresses or blending a sultry smokey eye aren’t exactly what we’d call our go-to solutions for upgrading your look on the fly. For that kind of primping inspiration, we look to manicures, the beauty routine with quite possibly the lowest learning curve and quickest refining results. So, we’ve kept our eyes peeled for polish during this month’s string of star-studded events.
Here’s what we saw: Hollywood’s hottest are keeping their digits more understated than from award shows’ past, eschewing fussy nail art designs for single-shade looks that act as a chic accent to their outfits — and they couldn’t be easier to copy. Peep the 11 best red carpet manicures below, each of which we’ve paired with a lookalike polish. Award-worthy nails are just a click away!
1. Laverne Cox: At the SAG awards, the Orange is the New Black actress matched her mani with her lustrous gown, pale pink hue and all. To take this look off othe red carpet, we’d pair our pearlescent digits, painted with Essie Imported Bubbly ($9), with a cozy, winter-warm knit to play up that frosty finish. (Photos via Ethan Miller/Getty)
2. Sarah Hyland: Instead of wearing a gem tone to match the Modern Family actress’ shimmering dress, Sarah chose a sweeter nail polish shade for the SAG awards: a light pink with orchid undertones that complements her outfit’s iridescence. We’ll keep a similar polish like Forever 21 Dusty Pink Nail Polish ($3) around when we want our navy blazers or purple knits to pop. (Photos via Ethan Miller/Getty)
3. Lupita Nyong’o: Of course the Oscar winer deviates from the pack with her SAG nails look. Here, her dark French tips on her nearly-white nails have the same playful feel as her mixed-patterned gown. To get the look, you can use two shades of traditional nail polish and hole punch pages to create that half-moon arch or make it a one-and-done deal with Jamberry French Tip Nail Wraps ($15). (Photos via Ethan Miller/Getty)
4. Emma Stone: The Birdman actress keeps it classic with a deep red mani (with a lip to match) at the SAGs. Copy the matchy-matchy makeup look the next time you slip on your LBD with a lip the same hue as your red lacquer of choice. Ours = Dior Vernis Gel Shine and Long Wear Nail Lacquer ($27).(Photos via Ethan Miller/Getty)
5. Felicity Jones: Not only is the color of Felicity’s Golden Globes gown stunning, but so is too the fact that the Theory of Everything star’s nail polish’s peachy undertones stand out against it. Be sure to pair a lacquer like NCLA Don’t Call Me Peachy ($20) with your collection of dark chiffon blouses. (Photos via Jason Merritt/Getty)
6. Emily Blunt: The Into the Woods actress’ hunt for the perfect nude polish for her skin tone stops here with her Golden Globes mani (let’s have a moment for this unbelievably pale pink shade). If *you’re* still on the hunt for the just-the-right nude lacquer, investing in a set like Lauren B Nude Polish Collection ($75) might just open up the possibilities to find your shade soulmate (+ three other wear-anywhere colors). (Photos via Jason Merritt/Getty)
7. Keira Knightley: Keira’s Golden Globes dress and clutch are gorgeously over the top, and so her silver metallic polish stands up to the rest of her look while remaining chic. Try an opaque sparkler like Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Spanglemaker ($10) the next time you toss on your favorite statement piece. (Photos via Jason Merritt/Getty)
8. Jennifer Aniston: ’90s beauty (including “the Rachel” cut) is back in a big way this season, so it seems pretty perfect that Jennifer channel the vibe with a moody oxblood polish at the premiere of her movie Cake. Notice though how she makes a deep burgundy hue like Smith & Cult Lover’s Creep ($18) feel very of-the-moment by accessorizing with delicate rings and modern cuffs — a move to copy to a tee. (Photos via Jason Merritt/Getty)
9. Lena Dunham: Always one to follow the beat of her own beauty drum, Girls‘ creator and star goes very dark with her polish at the Golden Globes while the rest of her peers flash barely-there shades, and it totally works. We love her contrast of girly accessories like bold pearls with an edgy black lacquer. Put your take on the updown bling with downtown digits with an unexpected espresso-black shade like Habit Diabolique ($18). (Photos via Jason Merritt/Getty)
10. Chelsea Peretti: The Brooklyn 99 actress knows how to pull off power pink: here at the SAGs, she’s pairing it with traditional neutrals and lots of bling. You do the same with a shiny fuchsia like Habit Darling Nikki ($18) that will elevate any wardrobe basic (along with whatever statement jewels you have on hand). (Photos via Ethan Miller/Getty)
11. Leslie Mann: Leslie’s iridescent everything at the Critic’s Choice Awards is gracefully balanced by her ballerina pink mani. Remember this fool-proof nail polish hack when you’re settling on a color to go with your GNO outfit: get past your everything-must-sparkle hang up and go for a similarly clean yet perky polish like ORLY Confetti Nail Polish ($9). (Photos via Jason Merritt/Getty)
Which stars’ manis are you dying to copy? Tell us what polish you’ve spotted on celebs is your favorite of award season in the comments below.