12 Salads You Can Actually Eat for Breakfast
Figuring out what to eat for a healthy breakfast can be a challenge. Sure, there’s oatmeal, yogurt and avocado toast, but sometimes you need to mix things up a bit. Enter breakfast salads. They’re the healthy and savory breakfast option that will keep you satisfied all morning. Check out the 12 salads below that go great with a fried or poached egg on top.
1. Easy Breakfast Salad With Poached Eggs and Wilted Kale: Kale gets a quick sauté for a tender, just-cooked texture, while sweet potatoes add a nice sweetness to balance it all out. Plus, this salad has almost all of your vitamins for the day. (via Honestly Nourished)
2. Fig and Cantaloupe Salad With Watercress and Lime Dressing: This salad is about to become your weekly staple. The best part? The cantaloupes and figs taste even sweeter paired with watercress and a greek yogurt dressing. (via Brooklyn Supper)
3. Citrus Marinated Beet Salad: This salad — inspired by Alice Waters — is loaded with refreshing citrus flavor. The pomegranates add crunch to tender beets and citrus. Top with Maldon sea salt if you’re feeling fancy. (via The Broken Bread)
4. Spring Greens Bibimbap: Get ready to eat *all* your daily greens with this bibimbap. The steamed rice topped with dandelion greens, spinach, radish and pea shoots makes for one filling (and delicious) meal. Whatever you do, don’t forget the fried egg and spicy gochujang (Korean chili paste). (via Miss Hangrypants)
5. Lentil, Parsnip and Walnut Salad With Fried Eggs: This salad has all the sustenance you need in the morning. It’s loaded with protein-packed lentils and fiber-filled parsnips to start your day off on the right foot. (via Dishing Up the Dirt)
6. Roasted Squash and Pomegranate Salad With Waffled Grilled Cheese: Thanks to waffle grilled cheese, this salad really makes you feel like you’re eating breakfast. Okay, maybe not… but who cares? It’s delicious *and* full of healthy veggies. (via Half Baked Harvest)
7. Quinoa Roasted Fennel and Parsnip Salad: This salad has everything: quinoa, fennel, apples, sprouts, pepitas, cheese and shallots. There’s no way you’ll be looking at the clock wondering when your next meal is. (via Local Milk)
8. Peachy Salad With Savory Toasted Oats: This is what you make when you can’t decide between oatmeal or salad for breakfast. Fresh picked peaches are ideal, but any fruit will do just fine with the toasted oats, baby lettuce and good balsamic vinegar. (via Not Eating Out in NY)
9. Poached Eggs and Skillet Toast With Jalapeño Fennel Salad: This simple salad is tasty mixed all together or eaten on top of toast. Be sure to add tabasco sauce and a splash of vinegar for a quick + bright dressing. (via Brooklyn Supper)
10. Grilled Wedge Salad With a Fried Egg and Cranberry Feta: This grilled wedge salad screams Sunday brunch to us. But you can eat it any day and it will feel like a special occasion. (via My Name Is Yeh)
11. Grilled Romaine Salad With Eggs, Wakame and Black Vinegar: Grilled lettuce is a great variation on breakfast greens. It somehow adds more sweetness and crunch that’s needed with the salty, umami-rich flavor of wakame in this recipe. Chinese black vinegar works here in place of balsamic vinegar for a maltier but just-as-delicious dressing. (via I Am a Food Blog)
12. Grapefruit, Salmon and Avocado Salad: All of our favorite foods are showcased in this beautiful salad. The grapefruit adds a welcome acidity to creamy avocado and baked salmon. Drizzle with olive oil and lime to tie it all together. (via Adventures in Cooking)
Do you eat salad for breakfast? What’s your favorite recipe? Tell us in the comments.