15 Clever Tops and Dresses That Do All the Layering for You
Time is one thing that self-proclaimed busy girls don’t have. Between trying to achieve that vital work-life balance and staying on top of all the latest spring 2016 fashion trends, it’s all too easy to shuffle out the door wearing the same old black trousers and button down. Major snooze. Resist the urge to conform to lazy day dressing by investing in a capsule wardrobe of pieces that do all the layering for you. Think: a laid-back chic layered slip dress and a midi skirt with a sheer panel that looks way ahead of the sartorial curve. Did we mention that they can be styled on the fly with zero effort? Keep your outfit conundrums at bay by test-driving one of these 14 busy-girl approved tops and dresses that will take you from desk to drinks. You’re welcome.
1. Zara Long Layered Jumpsuit ($100): What is there not to love about a red hot jumpsuit with a bossy ‘tude?! Be it the boardroom or date night, this hero piece with a faux layered top (and an open back) is the secret to looking flawless like Beyoncé.
2. Alejandra Quesada Lady in Red Dress ($165): When schoolgirl meets prepster, this prim and proper collared dress is the result. Everything from the cheeky print to the pretend button-down top and swingy skirt has got us swooning hard. Throw some menswear-inspired loafers and cool sunnies into the mix, and you’ll be ready for Sunday brunch (or a day at the office) like that.
3. Zara Layered Lace Midi Skirt ($100): So much YAS. You will straight-up slay in this scene-stealing midi skirt that can double for a bridal shower or a super romantic outing with bae. The sheer lace overlay is all sorts of pretty. Go bold by pairing it with a cold-shoulder top or play it safe with a silk blouse.
4. ASOS Midi Dress in Knit With Double Layer in Rib With High Neck ($72): Cue the comfy-cozy athleisure vibes — this effortless gray ribbed dress is ready to come out and play. For instant street cred, just throw on a baseball cap and some low-top sneakers.
5. Forever21 Contemporary Layered Dress ($25): While low V-neck dresses aren’t normally HR-approved, this black and white layered option just may be the exception. With a blazer and power pumps in tow, you’ll even be ready to swap business cards come happy hour.
6. Pixie Market Mock Neck Layered Striped Dress ($94): When it’s too chilly to rock an off-the-shoulder dress, fend off the cold with an extra layer. Pair this free-wheelin’ babydoll dress, featuring a built-in mock neck top, with some white tennies and a leather tote for a stroll around the farmers market.
7. English Factory Combo Dress ($75): Hello, perfect spring sweater dress that’s as close to one-and-done as you can get. While the nautical striped sweater reads all-American girl, the pleated skirt hem errs on the sporty side. Finish off the look with a field jacket and some pointed-toe backless loafers for a daytime casual #OOTD.
8. Front Row Shop Black Mock Two Pieces Spliced PU Dress ($72): Take it there with this punk-inspired leather grommet dress that’s practically begging to be paired with sleek ankle booties for an upcoming GNO or a rock concert. Major bonus: The layered cream-colored top will keep any potential wardrobe malfunctions at bay.
9. Club Monaco Genera Lace-Hem Sweater ($170): There’s something about a lace-hem sweater that just exudes sophistication. ‘Cause who has time to layer a crewneck pullover over a white dress shirt anyway?!
10. Little Yellow Button Layered Emery Top ($88): Is it a cardigan? Is it an Oxford striped shirt? Get the best of both worlds with this layered top that looks like a cardi on the front and a regular ol’ shirt on the back. Just think how perfect it would be for office-ready head shots or conference calls when you want to look profesh without trying!
11. Forever21 Layered Floral Cami Dress ($28): ICYMI: Easy-going slip dresses à la the ‘90s are back and better than ever. For a Coachella-bound getup, style this floral button-front cami dress — complete with a cropped tank top — with a throwback choker necklace and some iconic Doc Martens.
12. Topshop Mesh Bodycon Mini Dress ($55): Get ready to hit the town in style with this mesh layered bodycon dress that will take the indecision out of figuring out what to wear. For a tough-girl edge, a leather jacket and studded biker boots are obligatory.
13. ASOS Jumpsuit With Palazzo Pants and Embellished Over Layer ($161): Semi-formal season cannot come soon enough! In lieu of your traditional strapless gown, opt for this burgundy jumpsuit that’s a triple threat in disguise, with both an embellished top and palazzo pants. Accessorize with a minaudiere clutch and some metallic steppers for a red carpet-approved look that will wow on all fronts.
14. Front Row Shop Navy Mock Two-Piece Spliced Shirt Dress ($73): Oh, this old thang? Perfect your roll-out-of-bed-and-go routine with this navy spliced dress featuring peekaboo stripes. Do less by throwing on an oversized scarf and some Chelsea boots for a #lazygirl getup that’s actually off-duty chic.
15. Sister Jane Rituals Double Layer Shirt Top With Tassel Detail ($95): Enter the next-level shirt dress that’s polished enough for the office and an evening spent meeting your S.O.’s parents. Thanks to the fancy tassels, you won’t even have to worry about tossing on a necklace or deciding between chandelier earrings and studs. #Winning
What’s your favorite busy girl layering hack? Follow us on Pinterest for more colorful style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.