Add This Sweet Ingredient to Your Next Batch of Chili
Now that we are in the middle of summer, we’ve had the pleasure of experiencing some pretty high temps. Although ice cream and watermelon have definitely been our go-to snacks to beat the heat, we’ve decided to embrace the hotter temps by adding a slight kick in the kitchen. This chocolate chili recipe is no stranger to the sweltering heat. While it might have a pinch of cayenne and a little bit of brown sugar, the chocolate also has chili pepper added to it. Are we masochistic? Maybe. Is it worth it? Yes. Scroll on to see how you can make this yummy chocolate chili for your next night in.
Ingredients: Makes 4 bowls
— 1 large onion, diced
— 1 pound ground turkey (or beef)
— 2 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
— 1/2 bar chili chocolate
— 1 teaspoon cumin
— 1 teaspoon black pepper
— 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
— 1 can pinto beans
— 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
— 1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder
— 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
— 1/4 teaspoon dried cilantro
— 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
— 2 cans diced tomatoes (not drained)
To Serve (optional):
— fresh cilantro
1. Add ground turkey to a bowl. Then add brown sugar, cumin, black pepper, salt, chili powder, cayenne powder, cinnamon, dried cilantro and garlic powder and mix together. Add to skillet and let it cook over medium heat.
2. Add onion to skillet. Then lower heat and let the onions and ground turkey cook together.
3. Add beans and canned tomatoes to skillet and mix together. Let simmer for about 20 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
4. Break chocolate into pieces and mix together until chocolate is completely melted.
5. Pour chili into a bowl and add crackers for an extra crunch.
Add ground turkey to a bowl and add brown sugar, cumin, black pepper, salt, chili powder, cayenne powder, cinnamon, dried cilantro and garlic powder. Mix it all together.
Add the diced onion to the skillet. Stir to incorporate with the ground turkey. Then, lower the heat and let the onions and ground turkey cook together.
Add beans and canned tomatoes to the skillet and mix together. Let simmer for about 20 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
Break the chocolate into pieces and sprinkle the chocolate into the chili. Mix it together until the chocolate is completely melted.
Pour your chocolate chili into a bowl, and add crackers for an extra crunch.
Whoever said you can’t add chocolate to everything and anything has never truly lived! This chili is the perfect combo of sweet and salty.
Planning on cooking some chili for dinner tonight? Share your photos with the hashtags #britstagram and #iamcreative.