This Cleopatra Halloween Costume Is Easy Enough for Beginners But High on Nile Style
Not sure what to be this Halloween? Instead of joining a group of pals as yet another Snapchat filter, why not stand out with a costume that’s part Ancient Egyptian, part badass babe? Cleopatra is the ultimate Halloween look, and with a little patience, some careful eyeliner and well-chosen accessories, you’ll be able to craft up a Queen-of-Egypt-inspired Halloween costume that’s sure to blow everyone away. And since not everyone is a DIY pro, we’re going to show you how to do a Cleopatra costume no matter whether you’re a beginner, intermediate or a master-level costumer.
To start things off, we’re thinking simple and straight to the point. So stock up on the essentials below and read each step carefully. Most importantly, don’t get intimidated! Since this costume is an update on a store-bought getup, even a Halloween novice can bring the double-tap-worthy look to life.
What you’ll need to bring your look to life:
How to put it all together:
1. Try your hand at styling. Even though you’ve bought a wig with bangs, there’s a good chance that they’re not cut to Cleopatra’s liking. Lay your wig flat and use a pair of ultra-sharp scissors to snip the bangs a tad shorter than they already are. The goal isn’t so much baby fringe as it is micro bangs, so be sure to cut them about an inch up from your brows. To make sure you have the right length, try the wig on first to get a feel for how much to cut.
2. Jazz up your wig. Add dangling earrings or beads on a strand to the headpiece to personalize it.
3. Swap out store-bought for statement pieces. Take the collar that comes with the costume out of the mix and replace it with the chunky necklaces of your choice. Remember: the blingier, the better.
4. Accessorize like a royal. Throw on a few chunky rings for Queen of the Nile style.
5. Slay your face like the Egyptian queen that you (almost) are. Begin with the flawless face for your base. Next, add shimmering gold lids and light-reflecting cheekbones. To get the look, apply a gold reflective cream shadow to your eyelids, expanding beyond the outside corners and along your lower lash line. For your cheekbones, swipe a high-pigmented gold highlighter from your cheekbone up towards your temple and out towards your hairline — the more you apply, the more you’ll glow, so be generous. From there, hit your lower lash line with a touch of gold glitter in the center and dab the upper lash line in the center as well to bring attention front and center. Next, go for a bold, elongated cat eye using a liquid liner pen, expanding the liner onto the sides of the bridge of your nose. Top off your queenly look with a set of bold brows using black or deep brown shadow, followed by a clear eyebrow gel, voluminous false lashes, and a subtle nude lip. Voila!
The final look
Looking for more good costume inspo? Head to our Halloween page.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
Production, Wardrobe, Hair, and Makeup: Misty Spinney
Photography: Kurt Andre
Model: Natasha Thomas
Additional reporting by Rebecca Norris
(All photos by Brit + Co)
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)