18 Fall Must-Haves for Girls Who Love Color
Capsule wardrobes are key for combatting mid-season style ruts and closet conundrums, but if you’re a diehard color lover through and through, you might feel a little restricted by the prospect of a pared-down collection with a preference for neutral hues. But there’s good news: Capsule wardrobes aren’t just for the modern minimalist — color enthusiasts can totally get in on the action too, rainbow basics and all. To get you started on your new sartorial journey, we’ve curated a list of timeless and trend-right fall jackets, shoes and It-girl-approved bags that you can use as a guide to get your own 37-piece capsule in gear.
1. Zara Handmade Wool Coat ($169): Take a peek at the to-die-for topper you’ll be pulling out on the regular when the cool weather starts to settle in. The cotton-candy color and menswear-inspired styling strike the perfect balance of feminine and fashion-forward, making it a must for both off-duty adventures and your morning commute.
2. Mango Mixed Pieces Earrings ($20): Don’t even think about heading into fall without a few new baubles in your jewelry box. Pull out all the stops with this bright geometric pair that will instantly elevate your everyday tee-and-jeans routine. Toss on some streamlined shades and an oversized sweater for a cozy-girl look that feels light-years ahead of the sartorial curve.
3. BDG Margot Chino High-Rise Culotte Pant ($69): Step aside, everyday denim — you’ve had your 15 seconds of fame! These chartreuse culottes are the real deal. Whether you’re headed to the office or a casual dinner party at your bestie’s abode, these haute bottoms will never disappoint. Pair them with a rib knit top, velvet kicks and modern hoops for a decidedly throwback getup with endless RN appeal.
4. River Island Floral Print Mini Skirt ($49): Don’t hide those gorgeous gams away just yet. Fall florals and a flattering A-line silhouette make the perfect partners to an arsenal of cozy knits and show-stopping ankle boots this season. Channel your inner mod goddess a la next-level Mary Janes and a perfectly applied cat eye.
5. Anthropologie Freshgarden Oblong Scarf ($78): We can’t decide what we love more, the bright floral print or the endless layering potential this oversized scarf brings to the table. When cold fronts and cool breezes start to settle in, pop this pretty wrap on with a wool fedora and embroidered sweater for an effortless outfit that will chase those new-season blues away.
6. Tularosa Nala Blouse ($140): Whether you work it as a layering piece or rock it solo with ‘70s-inspired flares, this statement stripe blouse is guaranteed to win you some serious points in the style department. Pointed-toe ankle boots and top-handle sacs are highly encouraged.
7. Finery Claybrook Leather Slingbacks With Studs ($199): High octane color and heavy metal accents unite, creating a set of show-stopping slingbacks that aren’t messing around. Equal parts edgy and elegant, they’ll lend a much-needed punch of panache to everything from cropped jeans to snuggly sweater dresses.
8. Loopy Mango Her Turtleneck ($650): Yes, it’s a splurge, and a big one at that, but the allure of a hand-knit sweater (especially one made on good ol’ ‘murican soil) can’t be denied. Did you take a good look at that spicy pink hue? Swoon. When skies have you feeling blue, this scene-stealing number will send those good vibes into motion.
9. Mango Leather Biker Jacket ($200): Can a capsule wardrobe even be considered complete without a leather jacket in the ranks? Take style notes from every fashionable femme out there by investing in a sleek biker style in a cool shade of petrol blue for fall layering at its best. You can style it with knit turtlenecks and jeans or toss it over a flowy floral dress for that undeniable tough-girl edge.
10. H&M Short Dress ($25): Send wardrobe blahs packing with this sporty zip-front dress that calls for a messy topknot and statement sneakers. The A-line silhouette and athleisure aesthetic combine for the ultimate fusion of cozy and chic that will straight-up slay whether you’re heading to the big game or boutique hopping around town.
11. Drake’s for J.Crew Pajama Top in Green Bengal Tiger ($198): From lounging around your apartment to schmoozing at cocktail parties and getting your girlboss on, there’s nothing this vibrant pajama top can’t do. The bright retro print has those one-of-a-kind vibes and would look ah-mazing with leather culottes or layered over a metallic slip dress.
12. Urban Outfitters Diamond Net Tight ($14): We hate to be the bearers of bad news, but tights season is (sadly) upon us. Instead of looking at it as the departure of dreamy beach days and balmy temps, why not view it as an opportunity to take your style game to the next level? Case in point: these bomb blue tights that are practically begging to be paired with button-front skirts and swingy graphic dresses. Stand out for all the right reasons by pairing them with a metallic midi skirt and statement steppers for a day-to-night look that doesn’t mess around.
13. Topshop Portugal Limited Edition Boot ($190): We can’t stop staring. Show-stopping shoes are the cornerstone of every OMG-worthy #OOTD — and these stunners are no exception. Between the artsy print and edgy flared heel, they’ll be raking in double taps like it ain’t no thing.
14. Free People Cora Top ($58): Enter the retro-inspired rib knit top that can be styled a thousand and one ways. Style it with pinstripe trousers and asymmetric earrings for the office, or toss it on alongside an airy maxi skirt and lace-up boots for instant bohemian charm.
15. Nike Women’s Blazer Mid Suede Vintage Sneaker ($100): When you’re not pounding the pavement in a RN pair of block-heeled pumps, let your inner lazy girl shine with suede sneaks that are straight-up #goals. Tap into your inner It girl by styling them alongside midi dresses and luxe longline coats for a runway-ready look that’s ready to take the streets by storm.
16. Siyu Merida Plaid Wool Cape ($368): A cool-weather topper with this much flair must be shown off — and we’re talking all day, every day, y’all. With its swingy silhouette and vibrant plaid print, it packs enough personality to set your style apart, whether you’re sipping espresso at your fave coffee spot or apple picking with your crew.
17. & Other Stories Saddle Stitch Leather Shoulder Bag ($245): Get the most bang for your buck this season by adding this sleek saddle bag to your lineup stat. The ruby red hue is right on cue for fall, while the structured silhouette and roomy interior make it ideal for toting around all your everyday essentials all season long. For max perfection, style it with a knit midi dress, bomber jacket and cutout ankle boots.
18. Pared Koni & Kaftans Cat-Eye Shades ($210): Lounging by the pool probably won’t be on your to-do list much longer, but that’s no reason to step into the new season without a sick pair of sunnies. Pop these puppies on with a biker jacket, high-waisted trousers and platform kicks to send those badass vibes into overdrive.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
Back in January, we introduced you to a feel-good cause to inspire your New Year's resolution: a walking challenge to help raise funds for the amazing cancer fighters at The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. I took part in the challenge with the Brit + Co team and ended up walking 105+ miles in January — it was awesome.
This spring, there's a new challenge on the horizon, The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Big Climb. The ask: On May 15, 2021, you can step up to take cancer down by committing to climb 1,311 steps, walking 3.2 miles, or doing 440 chair step-ups at home as part of the Big Climb. If you need some motivation to bring movement back into your daily routine — look no further!
As always, it's free to sign up, but climbers are encouraged to set a fundraising goal to help beat cancer. We'll be organizing another Brit + Co team to step up, and I hope you'll join us too! Keep scrolling for a peek at where I'll be completing the challenge in my Los Angeles neighborhood around the hidden Silver Lake Stairs. Happy climbing!
Never underestimate the power of an accountability buddy! I asked my in-laws, my partner, and a few friends to join me so we can keep each other motivated and accountable in completing the challenge — virtual high-fives all around! Also, my dog Fox is a great climber, too.
An aesthetically pleasing backdrop is a huge motivator for me! I'm fortunate to have all sorts of painted steps around my neighborhood to keep the challenge interesting, but you can also keep cool inside with at-home chair step-ups.
Don't forget to share your progress on social — #BigClimb!
Feel free to break the challenge up if you need to by tackling half the distance in the AM and half at sunset. Here's me 1,311 steps later and ready for a break — but, think I earned this one!