It comes as no surprise that there are some purses, like Dior’s “Lady” and Chanel’s “Boy” bags, that are at the top of everyone’s wish list. But that It-bag status can come at quite the cost — as in, the thousands. But all hope is not lost; there are still plenty of options out there that fit within the budget. For this week’s edition of Top Shelf — an edit of separates and accessories designed to help you ease your way into the wonderful world of designer duds — we narrowed down five essential, It girl-approved handbag styles that are worth the splurge. Trust us on this one — you’ll be reaching for these bad boys again and again.
The Ladylike Top Handle
1. Tammy & Benjamin Pentagone Shoulder Bag ($490): Hello, gorgeous. When you’re looking to make a memorable first impression or inject a punch of polish into a basic off-duty ensemble, this is the one accessory you want to have on your side. Like Hérmes’ iconic Kelly or Birkin bags, this Insta-worthy satchel’s top handle, clean lines, and classic styling are downright timeless, while the funky pentagon silhouette lends it just the right amount of RN appeal.
The Trusty Work Tote
2. Little Liffner Ring Croc-Effect Leather Tote ($665): Your work tote is basically your ride or die, getting you through the week like a bonafide boss. A quality carryall is, therefore, essential (save the canvas bags for the farmers’ market). Croc-effect leather is straight-up timeless, while the silver ring handles deliver undeniable of-the-moment flair. The roomy twill-lined interior effortlessly accommodates all of your on-the-job swag — folders, a laptop, and a change of flats — and makes the transition from day-to-night feel totally flawless.
The Perfectly-Polished Clutch
3. Eddie Borgo Lou Embellished Leather-Trimmed Gold-Tone Clutch ($390): Whether you’re a dance floor diva or a social butterfly with a social calendar jam-packed with gallery openings, swanky soirees, and dinner dates, a haute clutch is non-negotiable. Crafted from polished gold-tone metal, this sleek box clutch is the ideal after-hours partner in crime. It opens up to a mirror for last minute touch-ups, and features a money clip and neat credit card compartment, keeping you organized and looking fly.
The Everyday Carrier
4. Mansur Gavriel Bucket Bag ($695): When you’re not doing the work thing, a versatile bag that will effortlessly carry you from Sunday brunch to vintage shopping adventures with your crew is so essential. Mansur Gavriel’s iconic bucket bag is the pitch-perfect piece to accompany you on your off-duty shenanigans in style. The only thing that could make this beauty even better? A colorful scarf tied neatly around the strap.
The Colorful Crossbody
5. Mulberry Darley Textured-Leather Shoulder Bag ($725): Sometimes you just have to pare down, and that’s where a streamlined crossbody bag comes in. Large enough to stash all of the essentials — phone, keys, wallet, lipstick — without weighing you down, it’s the first thing you’ll reach for on an afternoon spent running errands or an impromptu hang sesh with your BFF.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.