10 DIY Emoji Costumes to Rock This Halloween
Dearest Emoji, We heart you. We heart you SO much that, well, we actually want to BE you. And guess what? There’s this really cool holiday that is right around the corner that lets people everywhere be anyone they want to be. So, this Halloween, everyone at Brit HQ is becoming emoji… one “person bowing deeply” at a time.
Now let’s get to it!
1. Dancing Women With Bunny Ears: This pair of heartbreakers looks like they’re ready to tear it up on the dance floor. To create this look yourself, go for black shorts and t-shirts, pantyhose and use black card stock or poster board to make those kooky headbands. Of course, if you’re up for combo-ing with a Single Ladies costume, go for black leotards and call it a day. Thanks to our rockstar intern Maddie Bachelder and merch maven Alicia Cox for doing leggy justice to this emoji.
2. Person Bowing Deeply: I personally tend to call this “Blue Boy With Triangle Halo” and I know some just go for “Headband Boy” — any way you slice it, Brit + Co photog Kurt Andre is rocking it. We created Kurt’s headband out of blue foam sheets!
The Girl in the Pink Shirt Doing EverythingThis girl is the best! And we’re pretty sure Alicia was the original model for this emoji set? One question: What is your read on the girl with her hand next to her head? Some people say waitress, some people say “raising the roof” and some people say “like I give a…” — but the official definition is “Information Desk Person!”
Two Women Holding HandsOur two resident makers Misty Spinney and Roxy Taghavian are a match made in color-coordinated heaven. Musts for this look: Two solid-colored dresses (ideally red and purple) and belts to match. For our belts, we used ribbon and fastened them in the back with Flash Tape.
5. Runner: On his very first day on the job, Brit newbie Adrian Miu was totally up to the task of becoming our favorite exercising emoji. We’re not sure if this dude is running away or just going for a jog. This is definitely the easiest costume on the list — all you need is a red t-shirt and jeans!
6. Princess: We may have had an unfair advantage with this one thanks to Editorial Director Lisa Raphael’s bright blue eyes and sunny blonde locks. To become your own emoji princess, grab a yellow wig, crown, red lipstick and whatever princess outfit you like!
7. Man and Woman Holding Hands: Misty and Kurt sitting in a tree… doing a million photo shoots so that we can provide you with nonstop Halloween inspiration until next Friday!! :)
DancerSalsa! Our Creative Director Anj (also known as… me!) channeled her inner salsa dancer to bring this one to life. To do it yourself, a serious red dress is crucial and you have to be ready to bust a move. If you’re not feeling the salsa inspiration, may we suggest Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Grey’s first official dance in the seminole ’80s classic Dirty Dancing?
9. Two Men Holding Hands: Kurt and Adrian definitely win the emoji challenge. This is another couples costume that is super easy to pull off — a couple blue and orange t-shirts, jeans and brown pants and you’re good to go.
10. Ghost: We obvs saved the best for last with this one. That giant tongue is… insane.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)