How to Make a $150 Designer Necklace for Only $5
Just in time for spring, we found this gorgeous Highlow Necklace. With a stiff price tag of $150, it’s out of reach for most of us. Fortunately, with a little time and a few simple materials, we can make one of our very own for less than the cost of our morning coffee and muffin. Cha-ching!
— polymer clay in nude
— black acrylic paint
— black suede cord
— X-Acto knife
— rolling pin
— permanent glue
— paint brush
1. Take three quarters of your polymer clay and roll into a long cylinder.
2. Using a rolling pin, shape the clay to approximately 1/16 inch deep, 1 inch wide and 12 inches long. With a ruler, clean up each of the four sides and trim to approximately 3/4 inch wide.
3. Shape the clay into a “U.”
4. Trim the tops of the “U” so they are straight.
5. With the remaining clay, roll a second cylinder approximately 3/8 inch in diameter and 12 inches long.
6. Using the first piece as a guide, shape the cylinder into a “U.” Trim the ends of the cylinder so they are approximately 1/4 inch shorter than the flat piece.
7. Following the directions on your polymer clay packaging, bake the two pieces and allow to cool.
8. Paint “freckles” on both pieces using a fine point brush and black acrylic paint. Allow to dry.
9. Adhere the two pieces with permanent glue. Allow to dry.
10. Take two pieces of black suede cord, approximately 16 inches in length, and wrap around each end of the pendant. Fix with glue. With the other ends of the cord, tie a knot to your desired length.
That’s it! With a few simple materials and about an hour you can create this amazing statement necklace.
Perfect with a simple black top, or brightened up for summer with white or a pop of color like blue or lilac.
What do you think of this wallet-friendly fashion hack? Tell us in the comments below!
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)