We have nothing against fluffy fruit-filled muffins that double as dessert. But when you need a protein-packed morning meal, a dinner side, or an hors d’oeuvre, you need a muffin that’s less sweet and more serious. Here’s our salute to savory characters that can handle the heavy lifting at mealtime.
1. Spinach Artichoke Corn Muffins: Honestly, whatever you use to scoop up spinach-artichoke dip is secondary (and not even a close second) to the awesomeness of the dip itself. So we decided to skip the middleman and bake all that goodness directly into these bite-sized mini muffins. (via Brit + Co.)
4. Muffins with Prosciutto and Chives: Don’t have time to bother with a bowl and spoon? Start your morning with cottage cheese (as well as prosciutto, chives, and Parmesan) in muffin form! (via The Kitchn)
6. Savory Ham, Feta, and Basil Muffins: In case it wasn’t clear, these muffins are made with ham, feta, and fresh basil. They also contain tiny peas (surprise!) and are topped with toasted pumpkin seeds. (via The Café Sucré Farine)
13. Garlic and Sun-dried Tomato Corn Muffins: Sun-dried tomatoes add a burst of flavor to any recipe they’re in. This one starts with corn-muffin mix, meaning it’s super easy. (via Seeded at the Table)
14. Broccoli Cheddar and Sausage Egg Muffin Pull-A-Parts: Shortcut! Use refrigerator biscuits, and these little butter muffins will come out of the oven with that perfect pull-a-part texture. (via Picky Palate)
16. Whole Wheat Sourdough English Muffins: Finally, a muffin that doesn’t require a muffin pan. Toasted English muffins are great with a little butter or with your fave sandwich fillings for breakfast or lunch. (via Bakeology by Lisa)
What are your fave savory flavors? Let us know in the comments!