From Cider to Succulents: 12 DIY Gift Ideas for the Hostess
Sick and tired of giving the same gift over and over? Or even worse, walking into a party and realizing the host already has a few of your gift to spare? Don’t fret and go the DIY way! These super easy and unique ideas will keep you busy for a bit and will undoubtedly impress even the toughest of critics. Get ready to paint, scrub, nosh and boil!
1. Peppermint Sea Salt Scrub: Everyone will be in serious need of R&R post holiday season, and this is the perfect token to indulge in during a night in or a day at the spa. These scrubs are easy to make and if you need more of a variety, get even more ideas here. (via The Happy House)
2. Neon Terracotta Succulents: As easy as just painting the pot, letting it dry and you are ready for the party. Wanna give it more sparkle? Just go with metallic or jewel tones. (via Preparatory School)
3. Boiled Apple Sider Syrup: Planning this project is a little time consuming, but the results are well worth it. Be sure spend a few hours in the kitchen, but the packaging and sweet flavors will be remembered for some time. (via Reading My Tea Leaves)
4. Ginger Curried Candied Almonds: This gift consists of an incredible trifecta — sweet, spicy and salty. It will most likely be a hit on any party spread, and the only challenge might be not snacking on them while they are still warm. (via Saveur)
5. Infused Honey: Time for something sweet! Break away from jams and butters and give this lovely and easy to make honey jar. Wanna get even craftier? Paint the jars a different color and add a hand-written note. (via Austin Culture Map)
6. BBQ Rub & Sauce: The perfect gift for the grill afficionado, as they are delicious and will add a kick to any dish. Make sure to experiment and even add new seasonings, as it may guarantee an invite to many upcoming dinner parties in the new year. (via Guest of a Guest)
7. Mason Jar Candles and Holiday Lids: This gift is all about the packaging. There are plenty of fun ways to make candles, but the lid is really what steals the show. The animals are spray painted, adding a chic statement that will most likely be reused. (via Mariejanelle)
8. Homemade Seasonings: Mix and match your favorite spices and pack them up inside a cute little container. There are so many combos out there, chances are you won’t even repeat. This DIY requires little tools and can even take as little as just a few minutes.(via Luci’s Morsels)
9. Rosemary Syrup: This little potion will spiff up any holiday aperitif and they are super easy to make. I mean, ’tis the season to eat, drink and be merry after all! Don’t forget to pair it up with your favorite bottle of wine or spirit. (via Julip Made)
10. Homemade Potpourri: Combine fruits and fragrances for the perfect mix. This is such a fun project for a cold afternoon and you can use all your creativity on dressing it up and making it pretty. (via Coordinately Yours)
12. Pretzels with Brown Sugar & Dijon Mustard: Show up to your next soiree with a full-on package of festive treats. These pretzels and mustard are perfect to munch on when dishing about the holiday highlights. (via Wayfair)
So there you go! All of this projects are fun, easy and more importantly they will be cherished by party throwers. What are some of your favorite DIY gifts? We’d love to see some of your ideas, so be sure to share some photos.
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.