18 Ways to Get a Head Start on Your Holiday to-Do List
Remember how last year you swore you wouldn’t let the holidays sneak up on you? Well, here’s your friendly reminder. Even though you may feel as though you’ve only just packed away your Halloween costume, getting a jumpstart on your holiday shopping will take some of the pressure off. We already got you started with an early-bird gift guide filled with unique holiday gift ideas and have inspo for holiday decor DIYs galore, but now it’s time to tackle that to-do list. Or create it. Just imagine: When the holidays do arrive, you’ll have plenty of time to lounge by the fireplace, sipping eggnog and spending time with your loved ones.
1. Carve a Stamp Kit ($30): Looking for a way to spruce up your gift tags, wrapping paper, place settings, ornaments and wine gift bags? This DIY kit has stamps for the major holidays, so you can start now and celebrate year-round! You’ll be carving stamps before you’re carving turkey!
2. Dots to-Do Notepad ($10): This skinny notepad is just the right size to fit in your bag during shopping trips and features a brush-illustrated design that you’ll love coming back to as you cross off those to-dos ahead of schedule. You GOT this!
3. Baker’s Twine Set ($20): Even the tiniest snip of baker’s twine makes everything sweeter, from gift wrapping and gift tags like these to dangling handmade ornaments and garland. With pretty pastels like these, it’s totally okay to use colors that aren’t red and green.
4. Making Spirits Bright Stamp and Gift Tag Set ($28): Rather than going store to store in search of gift wrap, greeting cards and gift tags that speak to you, customize your own to get exactly what you had in mind. Or you could always grab this set that’s ready to go.
5. State Lovin’ Ornament ($20): Know someone who can’t make it home for the holidays? An ornament in the shape of their state will make them feel right at home.
6. The Jolly Brit Mixer ($13): This eight-ounce bottle of holiday spirit goes a long way, as you’ll see by these four cocktail recipes all made with the Jolly Brit elixir. Bookmark those recipes for your holiday party, and imagine how impressed your guests will be that you can whip up buttered rum and next-level ‘nog like it’s nothing.
7. Custom Stamp Kit ($44): Put a professional touch on Christmas cards and thank-you letters with a custom-made stamp. This makes a great gift for newlyweds and new homeowners too.
8. Light Up Gift Bow ($3): What’s better than watching someone’s face light up when they open the gift you got them? Answer: watching their face light up before they’ve even opened it. This LED light-up bow is sure to get some attention, and we could definitely see using a few as props for Christmas card photos.
9. Polka Dot Recipe Box & Cards ($34): It’s feasting season, and all that delicious food isn’t going to eat itself. When you find new favorites, this classic recipe box will keep them neatly organized. Even write out your own recipes ahead of time and leave them by your dish for admirers.
10. Coloring Book Wrapping Paper ($15) After all the fun’s been had, the black and white side of this reversible wrapping paper doubles as a coloring page to turn post-unwrapping cleanup into a game! Better throw some crayons in the bag too.
11. Holiday Card Set ($5-20): Get things shakin’ and show your fun side with these cute cards that’ll go straight to the front of the card display.
12. Watercolor Gift Tags ($9): We welcome pastels any time of year. Amidst the rich smells, tastes and colors, this soft wash of color on a present will be a welcome touch.
14. Floral Planner: Beat the post-holiday freak-out! You’ll have peace of mind knowing your commitments for the year ahead are kept neatly in this planner, so you can enjoy the last few days of 2015.
15. Acrylic Mini Ornament Set ($16): Shape up that tree with these dazzling ornaments that you assemble yourself.
16. DIY Geometric Paper Ornament Kit ($25): Available in both colorful and classic schemes, these ornaments are a fun, stupid-easy DIY that’ll give the house a bold pop of color. We suggest hanging them in front of the window or using them as a backdrop for photos at your Christmas party.
17. Ugly Christmas Sweater Card ($5): It’s not Christmas time ’til the hideous sweaters come out. Get those cards sent out before the battle of the ugliest begins.
18. Dala Horse Felt Ornament ($28): This adorable felt horse ornament is made with sweet, handmade touches, and he’s ready to dress someone’s tree.
How do you prepare for the holidays? Chat with us in the comments below!
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)