Lots of sun, no office squabbles, drinks with cute little umbrellas… who doesn’t love a good vacation? Whether you’re packing your bags or planning to unwind at home, we’re always in favor of getting away for a while to rest and recharge. But taking a break from work doesn’t mean you have to take a break from your exercise plans. Here are 10 great ways to fit some fitness in while you’re on vacation!
1. Take a Walking Tour: The easiest way to sneak in exercise on a vacation is just to get up and take a walk! Pick up a map and explore the city or choose a walking tour instead of one on wheels. You’ll find a ton of new restaurants, attractions, stores and street art you wouldn’t have done otherwise while giving your gams a workout. (via Grokker)
2. Hit the Pavement: More and more cities are offering bike share programs, which are a great way to see the city and get some exercise in at the same time, so pick up a cycling guide and get moving. (via SkinnyMS)
3. Strike a Pose: Not only is yoga a great way to stretch your muscles and burn calories, it doesn’t require any equipment, and there are a ton of great apps available that let you pick the length and intensity of your workout. (via Escapes)
4. Do as the Locals Do: Try a local sport or activity. If you’re by the water, go surfing or paddle boarding. If you’re in the mountains, try skiing or hiking. You’ll have so much fun, you won’t realize you’re getting a workout at the same time. (via Fox News)
5. Pack Your Bands: An exercise band takes up almost no room in your suitcase, you don’t have to wait for one of the two treadmills at the hotel gym to open, and you can use it to work pretty much any part of your body. (via WikiHow)
6. Play on the Beach: If you’re on a tropical vacation, don’t just sit on your lounge chair all day! Build a sandcastle with your kids, look for seashells or frolic in the waves. You’ll burn calories without realizing it. (via VB Bound)
7. Bring the Gym to You With Apps: Bust out your smartphone or computer to get your workout in anywhere with a favorite fitness app (or even YouTube routine!). If you’re in a time crunch, there’s a mini-workout for you somewhere. (via Brit + Co)
8. Be Adventurous: A vacation is the perfect time to experience something new! Whether it’s rock climbing or flamenco dancing, grab a friend and try something you’ve never done before. You’ll get a workout as well as great memories. (via Calio Blog)
10. Make an Effort to Move: Always be on the lookout for ways to be active, whether it’s taking the stairs instead of the elevator, loading up on shopping bags (what? ;) or walking instead of hailing a cab. (via Women’s Health Mag)
How do you like to get a workout in on your vacation? Let us know in the comments below or on Facebook!