Short hair may sometimes feel limiting, but with the right products and accessories, not to mention a little creativity, it’s anything but. If you think that trendy updos and playful braids are off the table for your cropped locks, it’s time to reconsider. Take a peek below for 11 easy-to-achieve hairstyles that look stellar on short strands.
1. Natural Updo: Short, natural curls make any updo seem effortless and romantic. To get Zazie Beetz’s look created by celebrity hairstylist Lacy Redway, gather all of your hair up towards your crown and secure with pins, making sure to leave out a few face-framing spirals.
2. Stacked Bobby Pins: Styling your bobby pins in plain view is a fashion statement, not a faux pas. To add a little modern flair to a short bob, pair a deep side part with a handful of bobbies along your hairline. (Photo via Christian Vierig/ Getty)
3. Middle-Parted Mini Bouffant: Claire Foy (with the help of celebrity stylist Jenny Cho) proves that you don’t have to have long hair to achieve major volume. The trick is to pull everything to the back and push up as you pin it in place to create the appearance of a bouffant without all the wrapping and layering required of lengthier manes. (Photo via Emma McIntyre/ Getty)
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by KRISTIN ESS HAIR • FOUNDER (@kristin_ess) on
4. Little Black Bows: You can never go wrong with black velvet bows — just take it from Kate Middleton and Lucy Hale (pictured on celebrity hairstylist Kristin Ess‘s Instagram feed). To give your short locks even more style, opt for two teeny ribbons in a stacked look.
5. Middle Part With Barrettes: Looking to prevent short layers from falling into your face? Use bedazzled barrettes to keep tiny strands on lock. (Photo via Christian Vierig/ Getty)
6. Wet-Hair Look: No time to braid, twist, and pin your short strands? No worries. With a little gel and a lot of hairspray, you can create Hollywood’s favorite wet style like celebrity hairstylist Anna Cofone did for Dua Lipa. (Photo via Karwai Tang/ Getty)
7. Retro Pixie: If you love Audrey Hepburn’s classic hairdo, follow Michelle Williams’ lead and part your pixie off to the side before smoothing it from roots to ends. (Photo via Steve Granitz/ Getty)
8. Accessories, Accessories, Accessories: We’re living in the land of excess when it comes to hair accessories. Instead of spending forever styling your strands, simply brush your hair and layer as many pins as you’d like onto each side of your part. (Photo via Matthew Sperzel/ Getty)
9. Va-Va-Volume: Pixie cuts don’t have to fall flat. With a quality hair pomade and a few minutes of coifing, you can raise the bar on your short strands like pro Rick Henry did for Katy Perry at the 2019 Grammys. (Photo via Steve Granitz/ Getty)
10. Sleek Low Bun: Turn up the shine factor with Tessa Thompson’s slicked-back low bun courtesy of Redway. Spritz gel or spray and then brush your hair back into a low pony. Twist a gold ribbon or string around the teeny bun before pinning in place.
11. Teeny Top Knot: The whole topknot trend may seem exclusive to long-haired ladies, but not anymore. Pull your short tresses to the crown of your head and twist your ends into a tightly-coiled bun with a few stray ends sticking out. (Photo via Edward Berthelot/ Getty)
Would you rock one of these short hairstyles? Tell us @BritandCo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.