Etsy Finds That Prove ’90s Mania Isn’t Going ANYWHERE
The numbers don’t lie: The ‘90s are alive and well. According to data mined from Etsy users, searches on the site for pretty much anything from the grunge era have spiked significantly — in some cases, as much as 5,000 percent. (And in the age of Full House and Murphy Brown reboots, that’s not entirely shocking.) If you swoon for everything from this decade, your time is officially now, with modern interpretations making everything old new again. As Etsy’s trend expert Dayna Isom Johnson puts it, “I think ’90’s fashion is spiking now because it’s gotten far more modern and sophisticated. At the end of the day, ‘90s fashion is fun, and fun is always in.”
Check out the throwback trends people are hunting down — and shop our favorite picks from each.
1. Fanny Packs: This style is arguably the most major of all the ’90s trend revivals. Street style stars and celebs from Kourtney Kardashian to Amy Poehler are crushing hard on fanny packs — or belt bags, as they’re now referred to by the insider crowd. Etsy’s shoppers are in agreement: No matter what you prefer to call them, fanny packs are fashionably back.
Brit + Co Pick: KAFpipeWorkshop Female Waist Belt Bag ($40)
2. Butterfly Clips: Yes, you read that right. And before you go all “hell to the no,” consider the newest iterations of the old-school hair adornment. Rather than the plastic versions of yesteryear, modern butterfly clips are decidedly more realistic with a boho, ethereal, A Midsummer Night’s Dream feel. Over the past year, searches for “butterfly clips” have surged 384 percent on Etsy. The people have spoken — or, er, typed.
Brit + Co Pick: SpotLght Jewelry Set of 3 Butterfly Hair Clips ($30)
3. Shell Jewelry: Behold: the return of the puka shell choker, and all variations thereof. Etsy users helped searches for “cowrie jewelry” climb 69 percent and “handmade shell necklaces” shot up a whopping 4,875 percent. Now pass the hacky sack.
Brit + Co Pick: Sharvit Cowrie Necklace ($48)
4. Granny Glasses: The old-school librarian look, but make it fashion. Searches for “women’s glasses chains” spiked by 5,566 percent in the last year. Expect to see this trend on someone you know in the near future.
Brit + Co Pick: mylittlebonheur Eyeglass Chain ($47)
5. Windbreakers and Skiwear: If you never threw out your sporty zip-up from back in the day, you’re in luck. It may just be time to bust it back out since searches for “90s style jackets” have seen a 27 percent jump over the past year.
Brit + Co Pick: HotMilk VintageCom Vintage Festival Rave Shell Jacket ($35)
Want more style inspo? Follow us on Pinterest!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.