The 20 Most Ridiculous Fast Food Inventions Ever
Food bloggers, Top Chef contestants, and Brit + Co. interns aren’t the only crazy innovators on the culinary scene. The folks behind the scenes at places like Pizza Hut, KFC, Carl’s Jr, and Burger King are constantly serving up ridiculous new things that make some people swoon, make some people gag, and make some people turn vegetarian. Here 20 such creations that made us look.
1. Dunkin’ Donuts Bacon and Eggs on a Donut: Talk about an all-in-one breakfast sandwich!
2. Carl’s Jr Strawberry Pop-Tart Ice Cream Sandwich: Because ice cream sandwiches aren’t delicious enough on their own, Carl’s Jr has decided to place “hand-scooped” (aka scooped in a rectangular slab shape) ice cream between two Pop Tarts.
4. KFC Mac and Cheese Bites: What happens when your favorite guilty pleasure gets breaded and deep fried? Possibly a heart attack.
5. Burger King Bacon Sundae: “Put bacon on it is” the new “put an egg on it” but we’re not sure Burger King should jump on board in the dessert department.
6. Wendy’s Lobster and Caviar Burger: Oh you fancy huh?
7. Pizza Hut Cheeseburger + Chicken Nuggets Stuffed Crust: While we did love us a good stuffed crust in the late ’90s, putting actual cheeseburgers and chicken nuggets into an already pretty unhealthy pizza is taking it about 10 steps too far.
8. Burger King Black-Bunned Burger: Say what? The bun has actual charcoal mixed into the dough to create a black bun. The condiment of choice? Squid ink ketchup. Yikes.
9. Taco Bell Doritos Locos Tacos: More of a mainstream food mashup, we can’t believe how successful this seemingly harebrained late night creation is turning out to be.
10. Denny’s Fried Cheese Melt: What would make a grilled cheese more awesome? Mozzarella sticks, of course.
11. Pizza Hut Kit Kat Pops: Kit Kats are so awesome as it is – why wrap them in pizza dough?
12. Burger King Pizza-Size Burger: Fast food should be a family affair, don’t you think?
13. Pizza Hut Hot Dog Stuffed Crust Pizza: The high quality of this photo just doesn’t make up for the insanity that goes into putting a series of hot dogs inside of a pizza.
14. Denny’s Mac ‘n Cheese Big Daddy Patty Melt: At a whopping 1690 calories, this seems like the type of sandwich you take one bite of and immediately regret.
15. Carl’s Jr Ice Cream Burger: It’s an ice cream sandwich that looks like a burger, with some weird ketchup and mustard style icing. Too weird.
16. Burger King X-Tra Long Chili Cheese Burger: Perhaps X-Tra long is the new black?
17. Cinnabon Pizzabon: Cinnabon’s first foray into savory snacks? Behold the Pizzabon.
18. White Castle Chicken Rings: Because chicken nuggets aren’t unrelated to chicken enough, let’s make them in ring form!
19. KFC Shrimp Stars: It’s like an edible ninja star! What?
20. McDonald’s McLobster: And just when you thought you’d seen it all, McDonald’s in Canada serves up the McLobster. Where on earth do those lobsters come from?
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)