How to Style Your Hair in the Top 24 ‘Dos from the Past 100 Years
When it comes to fashion, there are many items that are popular for only a fleeting moment. Some we can look back on fondly (oh hey, shift dresses), while others hurt to think about (*cough acid wash cough*). Like clothes, hairstyles from each era have had their heyday, but in honor of Hairstyle Appreciation Day, we’re bringing it all back. Whether you’re going to a themed party or looking to bring back the best looks from each time, these tutorials have got you covered. Throw on some tunes, break out the rollers and head down memory lane with these fab hairstyles from 1910 on.
1. The Gibson Tuck: Way back in the early 1900s, Victorian rat’s nests were out and the sleek Gibson tuck was in. Be an image of elegance when you wear this simple style to summer weddings, cocktail parties and the like. (via Slow Mama)
2. Gibson Tuck With Fishtail Braid: Change up the classics by adding a modern touch, which in this case involves using the ever-popular fishtail braid. You’re sure to be a head-turner when you’re strutting your stuff in this updo. (via Brit + Co)
3. Finger Waves: The 1920s might’ve seemed like a bust thanks to party-pooper laws like Prohibition, but they did nail hairstyles. Create these posh waves for your next night out on the town. (via Birchbox)
7. ’40s Twisted Updo: The iconic Rosie-the-Riveter style is alive and well, y’all. Grab a silk scarf and get ready to wrap and roll, because with this style, you’ll be ready to conquer anything. (via YouTube)
9. 1950s Pink Lady Pony: At this juncture, we’re not convinced that there’s a style more adorable than a teased pony. Skip the poodle skirt and rock this with a midi length skirt for an homage to the vintage look, modernized. (via The Beauty Department)
13. ’70s Boho Waves: While this style is a little ’70s, it’s definitely wearable enough to be an everyday look. Pair with a sweet jumpsuit to give it a retro vibe, or wear with your fave sundress to keep things simple. (via The Glitter Guide)
14. Feathered Hair: For those of you with go-big-or-go-home personalities, you can’t get much bigger than feathered hair. Channel your inner rollerblade goddess and hit the town, superfly style. (via Pearliology)
17. Pompadour Head Wrap: Remember Erykah Badu’s epic head wrap? While it wasn’t quite for everyday wear, this scaled-down pompadour take definitely is, and it’s pretty easy to do! #Winning all around. (via Around the Way Curls)
19. Crimped Locks: Oh, crimping. We couldn’t forget the cavalcade of commercials for crimping plates if we tried. Get the look now with a flat iron instead — just be sure to throw on some Spice Girls while you do it. (via Kouturekiss)
20. Wavy Bob: Laguna Beach was our jam back in the day, but almost as iconic was Kristin Cavallari’s amazing beach hair. Get the look with a little product and a curling iron. (via The Beauty Department)
21. Feather Hair Clip: Just a few years ago, it was all the rage for folks to get feather extensions. If you feel like the flower crown isn’t cutting it, bring the feather look back with this easy-to-fashion hair clip. (via Sincerely Kinsey)
24. The Lob: We’re hard pressed to think of a style that’s made more of a splash in recent years than the lob. Learn how to style the versatile cool-girl look, and work everything you’ve got while rocking today’s version of The Rachel. (via Momtastic)
Which era did hair best? Let us know what you think in the comments!