We’ve all been there: Those times when you just cannot find the right thing to wear for that big meeting or for your night out with the girls and clothes are flying everywhere. You’re over falling back on your little black dress in this sartorial crisis — and we have to agree with that. It’s time to reimagine what the ultimate staple dress looks like, and we’re voting for a major shift. Our main contender: the shift dress. Scroll through these 20 shifts to be convinced that this polished yet easy-to-wear shape is suited for just about any occasion.
1. ASOS Placement Print T-Shirt Shift Dress ($61): Summer has officially come to a close, but that doesn’t mean you can’t bring a bit of sunshine into your wardrobe with this fun dress. We absolutely adore the mix of tropical and geometric details. It’s a fab date night selection!
2. Scallop Knit Dress ($47): The simple and subtle pattern on this shift dress makes it the perfect piece to dress up or down for any occasion. We love the way it looks paired with a bright, bold statement necklace.
3. Clover Canyon Library Stripe Dress ($264): Every gal needs a go-to long-sleeved dress to ease your wardrobe into seasonal transitions. We love the bright colors on this striped piece. Add a simple cardigan and your favorite riding boots to make this dress your go-to autumn outfit.
4. Petra Silk Shift ($198): This black and white shift is punched up with a chic orange geometric pattern that keeps the roomy dress figure-flattering. Add a fitted black blazer and you have an office-ready look that’s dressed to impress.
5. Flocked Mesh Shift ($140): Remember what we said about the LBD? Okay, we take it back! Combine a little black dress with a little shift dress and you get romantic perfection. This detailed mesh shift dress is a sexy and stunning look that you can’t help but feel confident in.
6. Denim Shift ($234): You know how comfy your favorite chambray is? Well, we’ve upped the ante on denim looks with this denim shift dress. The two-toned wash, pockets and gold detailing polish this casual piece. Just like your favorite pair of jeans, this dress can easily be dressed up or down with just the right accessories.
8. Apricot Shift Dress ($106): This dress is utterly amazing. The champagne hue and mixed medium fabrics set this dress apart from the rest. Wear this when you want to simply feel fierce.
9. Ever So Scallopy Dress ($58): A long-sleeved shift is the best way to dress up in fall. The scalloped hemline adds unique detail to an otherwise simple dress. No matter what the occasion, this dress will be a front runner.
10. Poppy Picnic Print Shift ($125): How cute is this? The bright orange checked pattern brings us back to the mod looks of the ’60s, and we aren’t complaining. Brighten up your fall wardrobe with this long-sleeved dress!
11. ASOS Curve Shift Dress in Animal Print ($54): Let this flirty dress serve as a reminder that animal print doesn’t have to be so literal. Punched up in a more abstract pattern and vibrant hues, even the most leopard print-averse would give this frock a spin.
12. Geo Sundown Mini Dress ($266): There is nothing more glamorous than wearing a little gold dress. The detailed embroidery and metallic accents make it a showstopper for a night out on the town. Get your #goldrush style on!
13. Scribble Scrabble Shift Dress ($75 rental): For all you frugal fashionistas out there, this dress lets you wear the best while not sacrificing major moolah. This polka-dotted shift with fun, frilly sleeves is available to rent for your next big event. That’s right, we said rent. Don’t let big price tags scare you away from finding just the right look for any formal event.
14. Short Sleeved Shift Dress ($20): This just goes to show how flawless styling can elevate even a simple bold-hued shift. Hardware is key — copy this look with an arm cuff, plenty of stacking rings and a sleek, straight-down-the-middle part.
15. Embellish Me Shift Dress ($54): Add a little sparkle to your classic LBD look with this sultry and sexy dress. Whether you’re hitting the town with your ladies or dressing up for late-night cocktails, you will feel golden in this piece.
16. Irina Dress ($139): Shift dresses need not be reserved for just any old day. A bright white shift can be the ideal look for a non-traditional wedding dress or a short look to wear for your wedding reception — or just for when you’re feelin’ extra fancy! The ruffled sleeves give it sophisticated flair that will make any day extra special.
17. Portia Shift ($298): A flowy shift dress is the ultimate in comfort clothing. The stitched white embroidery added to this piece give it easy-going personality. That means if you want to look cute and still be comfy, this is the dress for you!
18. Gem Detail Dress ($36): Finding a black and white dress that’s workday worthy is hard to come by, but this frock certainly succeeds. The simple black gemstone detailing around the shoulders draws attention to your face and lets you skip the addition of a necklace.
19. Patricia Wool Shift Dress ($198): This classic wool shift is yet another easy solution for go-to workday wear. The soft grey hue gives you a blank palette to add your own touches to with just the right shoes and accessories.
20. Citrus Grove Pink and Navy Blue Shift Dress ($40): Color blocking is a beyond-cute way to add color to your wardrobe, and unsurprisingly, we’re totally in love with this triple threat shift. If you are looking for a way to look bright and beautiful for your next wedding shower or girlfriends-only brunch, this is your answer!
Which shift dress is your favorite? Would you make the LBD swap with any of these picks? Tell us in the comments below.