You may remember that last week we realized that Kate Middleton has basically won life, not only because she’s a bonafide duchess, but mainly because she is absolute hair goals. It was at that exact moment that we vowed to give our locks a little TLC. Whether you realize it or not, your hair took a beating this summer, no thanks to sunny days, ocean breezes and dips in the pool. So now that we’re deep in the spirit of pumpkin spice everything, blazing autumn shades and Halloween nail art, it’s time to revive those dull, burned-out strands and get them prepped to withstand that other hard-on-your-hair time of year (winter, of course!). The best way to give your tresses a boost? A deep-conditioning, once-a-week hair mask that soaks into your locks, working to repair damaged strands and give back shine. Luckily, we uncovered a crop of new products this fall that team nurturing ingredients like coconut and almond milk with exotic oils, turning a boring ol’ shower into a mini-spa sesh. Scroll down to try one pronto — Kate would want you to.
1. Madam C.J. Walker Beauty Culture Custom Hair Masque Cocktail Kit ($38): This kit lets you experience salon-style amazingness in your shower, as the three add-ins not only treat a bunch of hair woes, but also smell delicious. Looking to make your hair crazy shiny? Mix in the coconut oil with a subtle vanilla scent. Want to soothe a dry, itchy scalp? Try the omega-rich black castor oil with notes of amber and musk. Wish your straw-like strands were softer? Add in the brassica seed oil, which is a natural alternative to smoothing silicone and smells like a sweet temptation.
2. TRESemme Botanique Nourish and Replenish Hair Mask ($5): True, those salon-brand hair masks are a luxe treat, but what if your budget is the cost of a PSL? This coconut milk- and aloe-enriched mask gives plenty of bang for its affordable buck: Its rich texture rejuvenates dried-out strands for super soft and shiny results.
3. L’Oreal Paris Hair Expertise EverPure Repair Remedy Mask ($8): Treating colored hair is a different story entirely; if you use sulfate ingredients and spend time outdoors in the sun, it could gradually fade to that oxidized, orange-y hue. Enter this mask, totally free of harsh sulfates and full of antioxidants. The conditioning blend of acai and goji berries and UV filters penetrate strands and act as a protective coating, preventing your hair from going into pumpkin territory.
4. Carol’s Daughter Almond Milk Ultra Nourishing Hair Mask ($14): And you thought almond milk was only for smoothies. The hydrating ingredient — blended with aloe butter, shea oil and sweet almond protein — repairs deeply damaged tresses from the inside out, so over time they look and feel healthier.
5. Curls Blueberry Bliss Hair Mask ($15): Curls need extra care, since the ends can get dry and break easily. If you’ve got ringlets for days, consider using this mask to totally reboot them. The organic blueberry extract has been proven to repair and restore, giving your strands springy, soft and shiny results.
6. Moroccanoil Intense Hydrating Mask ($16): Argan oil is the star of this must-have formula, restoring elasticity and transforming a wiry texture into one that’s smooth and totally manageable. It’s good for all hair types, but especially those with hard-to-manage waves or coarse strands. Use it twice a week to get max results.
7. Christophe Robin Cleansing Mask With Lemon ($49): What makes this conditioner ultra cool is that you don’t need to shampoo at all. Think of this mask as the workhorse of your hair routine. It cleanses, exfoliates and purifies your scalp and strands with lemon zest extracts, chamomile and St. John’s wort, leaving them super soft and silky.
Follow us on Pinterest for more beauty inspo and info.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.