15 Festive Ways to Decorate Your Front Door
Have you braved the cold to deck out your house for Christmas yet? We have (read below to see!), and the place we chose to start: our front door. First, with a festive welcome mat, and now with wreaths, garland, and lights that make the your home feel even more inviting this time of year. Let these 15 festive entryways serve as inspiration for decorating your door, porch, or deck for the holiday!
1. Move the Mantle Outside: We’ll start with an entryway that brings a little bit of the inside outdoors with a hanging Christmas stocking. Stuffed with pine sprigs and holly, the piece grabs all of your attention. But it’s also nice that when you zone out a bit, you’re met with a wild garland and two mini Christmas trees. (via Homedit)
2. Rustic Star: We love the warm, cheery feeling we get from this front door decor. There’s an effortless symmetry happening here that gives balance to the entire scene, from the perfect slouch in the garland to the equally and overly adorned trees. The large, rustic star on the door helps to bring it all together. (via Houzz)
3. Angles and Oranges: Here’s a great holiday scene for homes that don’t get much wintry weather. While we’re not suggesting that everyone go out and get a pair of cheeky angel topiaries, we do love the non-traditional color combination of green and orange. It’s a daring palette for this time of year, but it looks incredibly modern. (via Better Homes and Gardens)
4. Snowflakes: Three words: let it snow! There’s so much snowy detail on this front porch, from the obvious hanging snowflake garland and wreath, to more hidden elements like the snowflake decals on each silver tree bucket. There’s no chicer holiday theme to run with. (via Better Homes and Gardens)
5. Pinecones and Lanterns: If you’re drawn to this dashing doorway, then you’re definitely of the mindset of less is more. And in this instance, keeping it simple definitely makes a bold statement. We love that the ornaments in the full pinecone garland and berries around the metal lanterns exactly match the color of the door (it seems it helps to have a red door during the holidays). (via Better Homes and Gardens)
6. Neutral and Rustic: First off, let’s just take a second to ogle this front door. So gorgeous, and perfectly accented by minimal holiday decor. The simplest white garland adds a gentle touch of sparkle to this mostly neutral scene, which is so tastefully rustic. (via HGTV)
7. Winter Blues: Here’s another instance of both working with the year-round colors of your home and putting a twist on the traditional Christmas color palette (or simply embracing the colors of Hanukkah!) The combo of shiny silver and hues of blue make this porch sparkle like a winter wonderland. (via Robin Stubbert Photography)
8. Icy Glitz: If you’re ideal Christmas color is snowy white, then this is the front door decor for you! Icy blue ornaments and frosted pine cones give this wreath just enough wintry pop. Then, you can let the weather do the rest! (via Better Homes and Gardens)
9. Red and Green With a Twist: This super symmetric scene is tidy, yet bursting with personality. We’re swooning over the vertical snowflake hangings, which bring your attention to beautiful bunches of birch candles. There’s no overlooking the matching ribbon-wrapped hedges, either. (via HGTV)
10. Black and White: While we prefer our Christmas decor to be lit up in cheery color, we threw this front porch on the list for those who have a more minimalist taste. This scene is unfussy, yet everything is perfectly placed. We love how the doubled decor (see two trees and lanterns?) take up space without feeling repetitive, and of course, the monogram letter won us over. (via Made in Heaven)
11. Pop of Color: Here’s another more minimally decorated entryway, but this one uses color in a super smart way: every element of decor is monochrome! See the green ornaments on the green tree, and the red ribbon on that stunning red wreath? It’s classy, modern, and totally hip. (via Better Homes and Gardens)
13. Metallic Accents: We welcome all things glitzy during the holiday season, so we’re smitten with this metallic porch decor. When set on a background of white and green, there’s no such thing as too much silver and gold. (via Pottery Barn)
14. Nature Inspired: Who knew bare tree branches could conjure up such holiday spirit? And while they look pretty epic jutting out of spiky greenery, we’re obsessed with how great they look on the door. The oversized centerpiece plays up the height of the entryway without overpowering it in the slightest. (via Sweet Something Designs)
15. Coastal Holiday: This might be our favorite way to celebrate the holidays in a part of the world so sunny it never sees snow. Red ribbons pop against this white and sky blue entryway, where a garland of stacked seashells seems reminiscent of falling snow. (via A Beach Cottage)
Bonus: Our front door! It’s true! We decked out our entryway with fake snow, a couple of reindeer (see ‘em peeking?) and three frosty wreaths—one topped with a pretty burlap bow. This of course, is the entrance to Brit + Co SF, a holiday pop-up shop at Brit HQ where you can make, shop, and be merry! If you’re in SF, stop by between 11AM-9PM and say hi!
Any plans to deck out your front door this holiday? Do you stick with a traditional wreath or do you branch out with more modern decor? Tell us in the comments below!
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.