8 Essential Tips for Shipping All Your Holiday Gifts in Style
Got long distance loved ones? Us too, and as more and more folks move to amazing places, the possibility of seeing everyone you love for the holidays has become pretty impossible. But, that doesn’t mean you can’t send your favorite people great gifts with a personalized touch. We’ve teamed up with FedEx to share eight essential tips for shipping all your holiday gifts in style. These tips are all about making sure your holiday season is packed with peace of mind, as well as lots of beautifully packaged gifts!
Adding a special personal touch to all of your packages is what will make your faraway friends and family really feel the love. A little confetti, a handwritten card and a beautifully wrapped gift go a long way when it comes to Christmas. For all the different ways FedEx can help your packages arrive in good shape, check out more details on their Shipping Services and Packing Services. With just a few simple steps, you’ll be delivering holiday joy to your favorite peeps in no time.
1. Make Your Own Gift Wrap: Kick things off by making your own custom gift wrap. You can use paint pens to create patterns or go more airy by using watercolor to create a simple and beautiful wash.
2. Handwrite Your Cards: Think of how much you appreciate a handwritten card, letter or even gift tag. Your friends and family will feel the same when they receive a package from you complete with handwritten notes. It takes minutes and is totally worth that extra time.
3. Wrap Your Gifts Before You Pack Them: As tempting as it is, it doesn’t always make sense to wrap your shipping box. Not only can your decorations get ruined in transit, but they can actually get caught in FedEx sorting machines which can put a snag (literally!) in your gifting plans. Wrap your gifts before you pack them, including ribbons and gift tags and the whole nine yards.
4. Choose the Best Box: Now, time to choose the perfect box for your gift. Use a new, sturdy box that’s a few inches larger than your gift on all sides to allow for plenty of cushioning. If you’re reusing a box, make sure it’s still strong enough to stand up to shipping — if you see torn flaps, holes, corner dents or water damage, it’s time for a new box. And don’t forget to remove all old shipping labels. To find a FedEx location (complete with boxes, cushioning peanuts and more) head to this handy FedEx Locator.
5. Cushioning is Key: Protect your gifts by using at least 1-inch layers (preferably 2 inches) of cushioning around the item — top, bottom and all four sides. It may seem like a lot, but it will insure that your gift arrives in tip top condition.
6. Fragile Gift? Double Box It: How on earth are you going to send those glass Pantone ornaments to your design-obsessed sister-in-law? Double down! When you’ve got a breakable item to ship, it’s best to use two boxes. Cushion your item with at least three inches of packing peanuts or other cushioning material, and seal it in a box. Then place that box within a second, slightly larger box, with another layer of cushioning. All that added padding is added protection for your fragile gift.
7. Pack in the Address: Sometimes winter weather can ruin or remove shipping labels and paperwork can get lost from pouches. Just in case, always put an extra shipping label, business card, or letterhead with the shipper and recipient’s address information inside your box before sealing things up. You can also write it on the inside flap of the box. Not only is this smart, but it will give you peace of mind when you’ve got all sorts of holiday packages going out in a big storm.
8. Add Surprise Party Props: Finally, we love including party props in packages so that it’s as if the party has traveled all the way across the country, globe or state. We love these push pop confetti poppers (available in the B+C Shop) for getting the party started.
Happy gift giving season!
This post is a collaboration with FedEx.
DIY Production and Styling: Roxy Taghavian
Photography: Kurt Andre