Whether you’re a fashion darling or a bonafide lazy girl who can’t bother to keep up with the latest trends, there’s one straight-from-the-runway style hack every girl should know — an incredible belt can make an everyday dress look seriously amazing. It doesn’t just embellish your favorite frock, it basically gives it a sartorial overhaul by both switching up the silhouette and accessorizing. If you’re looking for an easy way to elevate your everyday wardrobe, this styling trick is it. Try one of these pairings below and watch as the double taps on your #OOTD go through the roof just like that.
1. Selected Prea Graphic Print Dress ($120) + Liebeskind Double-Buckle Corset Belt ($98): Make a laid-back dress feel date-night-ready in seconds with the help of a braided belt. The intricate shape and corset style break up your silhouette while adding an extra layer of visual intrigue to the look. Slip into a pair of trend-right block heels, and get ready to watch your date’s jaw drop.
2. & Other Stories Kimono Wrap Dress ($95) + ASOS Blush Belt With Rose Gold Buckle Detail ($14): A single-color dress can stand on it’s own okay, but add a simple suede belt in a soft pastel hue, and you’ve got a real winner. Amplify the effect with tonal menswear flats and a boxy jacket.
3. Free People Beach Catalina Maxi Dress ($108) + BCBG Max Azria Chain Body Piece ($188): Forget the traditional cincher. Go all out goddess by layering an ornate body chain over a flowy boho frock. Bonus points for flirty ruffles and sassy slits.
4. Madewell Denim Midi Shirt Dress ($138) + Mango Textured Wide Belts ($35): Bring a favorite denim dress into on-duty-appropriate territory with a luxe snakeskin-inspired belt. Court shoes in a snappy shade of red add an extra dash of polish while keeping the look contemporary.
5. Forever21 Contemporary Flutter Maxi Dress ($28) + Nasty Gal What’s Fine is Yours Waist Chain ($35): Get more mileage out of your go-to occasion dresses with ultra glam accessories that sparkle in the light. This dazzling waist chain will make even the simplest of dresses feel like a couture creation.
6. H&M Patterned Jersey Dress ($40) + ASOS Skinny Full Metal Rose Gold Waist Belt ($35): Add edge to body-skimming bodycons and frilly A-line styles alike with a sleek metallic belt with attitude. The pairing calls for accessories that are equally as commanding, so look to caged ankle boots, luxe chainlink chokers and geometric jewelry to complete the look.
7. Babaton Jessie Dress ($195) + Deepa Gurnani x Free People Eclipse Embellished Belt ($158): Even a casual t-shirt dress can benefit from this styling tip. The couch-ready piece feels effortlessly chic when styled with an attention-grabbing sash. Dress up the ensemble with lace-up heels or lay low with a pair of color block sneakers.
8. Zara Striped Dress ($50) + Topshop Suede Round Buckle Belt ($45): Step back into the ’70s with a suede belt that icon Stevie Nicks would love. Wrap it around a striped mini dress and pair with a suede trench and ankle boots for a throwback get up that feels so right now.
9. HD in Paris Illusionist Shift ($128) + Lauren Ralph Lauren Braided Loop Wide Stretch Belt ($58): Take an already on-point shift to new heights with a wide waist belt decked out in modern trimmings. Pair it with a pair of runway-ready mules and a daring, gem-studded ear crawler to turn it up for the office.
How do you give new life to a tried-and-true dress? Follow us on Pinterest for more colorful and fun style inspo.