7 #OOTDs for the Week: How to Dress Sporty and Still Look Cute
Just because the athleisure trend ushered in a new era of universal sweatpants acceptability and okayed sweatshirts outside of the gym doesn’t mean that in order to jump on the sporty bandwagon, you have to always look like you’re on your way to SoulCycle. This week’s outfit inspiration is about how to look cute — like, date–night cute — in sporty duds with help from some of the most stylish ladies on Instagram. Scroll through these seven #OOTDs below for tips on how to elevate the class in gym class staples.
1. @yanafisti: Yana shows us that tennis-court cute looks really good when it’s played up with posh accessories. Keep the look completely out of costume territory with a chic, monochromatic palette that even more casual pieces like chambray shirts and chunky boots can conform to.
2. @myshowroomblog: True, there’s been a ton of buzz about white sneakers lately, but they’re not the only sporty-feeling shoe that can polish a casual look. On your next errand run, slip on a pair of boat shoes that fall right in with this season’s preppy loafer trend.
3. @frassyaudrey: Who knew that throwing a varsity-style jacket over your date night dress would make the look feel even sweeter? We have to say, the going-steady greaser vibe is totally working for Audrey here, especially with her polka dot hair tie and retro specs.
4. @fakeleather: Freshening up sneaks and a baby-soft tank is as easy as stacking your closet with luxe spring staples. See how basics like a perfectly scrunched denim jacket and leather shorts (yes, they count as basics) elevate Adrianna’s sportier pieces just like that.
5. @somethingintheway5: Even your basic sporty girl uniform — a graphic tee, boyfriend jeans and crisp white sneaks — can be classed up in an instant by following the age-old adage: opposites attract. Raquel’s cocktail party–ready faux fur coat adds a refined wink to her ultra-casual look (honorable mention to the dude here taking the same advice).
6. @queenofjetlags: Rather than embrace the sporty vibe of your sneakers, be inspired by them. Noor’s done just that by using her shoes’ pale purple and silver pops as the jumping off point for her entire office-ready look. For commuters and cozy girls alike, it’s a priceless style hack.
7. @seewantshop: Think outside the gym for your sporty girl inspiration by channeling too-cool surfer babes. With your wayfarers within arm’s reach, nail the effortlessly chic look with flowy layers, a clean palette and beach waves upon beach waves.
What Insta style stars do you follow? Do you do an #ootd on the regular? Tell us in the comments below, and be sure to tag your pics with @britandco for a chance to be featured in next week’s post.
It can be intimidating to step out on your own and build a business from the ground up. As part of our collaboration with Office Depot, we're talking with Selfmade alum and solopreneur Colette Lawrence, the faith-based motivator and relationship builder behind The M.E.E. Movement, about ways in which women in business can find success.
B + C: How did you know M.E.E. Movement was your business to start?
The M.E.E Movement represents motivation, empowerment, and encouragement for women. It is what represents me. I did not know at first that it was my business to start, but then the thought of monetizing what I loved came to me. It scared me, however. I registered the business in July 2020 and have been slowly building my wings since.
B + C: What's one strategy that's helped you start your business?
Thinking through and researching what the requirements are to start my business, and then asking questions of people who are in the business. Not all advice worked; however, it helped me to figure out what I needed to do and not to do.
B + C: Did you always know life coaching would be your entrepreneurial path?
(Smiles) No, I did not. I 'stumbled" on it. I knew that people were always coming to me for advice and I found that I loved having conversations with them, especially with women, young and old.
B + C: What was your most valuable takeaway from Selfmade?
My most valuable takeaway was the first day of training: Get out of your own way. There were a lot of great moments and important takeaways from every presenter. However, getting out of my own way, pushing past doubts, was for me my most valuable takeaway. Doing something that I had never done before took courage. If I do not focus on what is happening with me mentally then I cannot deliver to my clients successfully.
B + C: What's one piece of advice you would give to female entrepreneurs on the brink of starting?
Get out of your head. You have something to offer. You have what you need to succeed so go ahead and do it.
B + C: How do you stay motivated?
I stay motivated by listening to music and listening to motivational speakers, and sometimes someone will just reach out and talk about the impact that I made in their life. That adds the extra juice or sauce I need to pummel through the day.
B + C: What's your best organizational tip?
Keep a diary and journal. It's the best way for me to keep organized and it also provides a source motivation as I record not only my "losses" but my wins as well.
B + C: Who inspires you in the entrepreneurial space?
Shirley Toliver – She motivates and empowers and makes me always want to show up.
B + C: What has receiving the Office Depot scholarship to Selfmade done to help you start or grow your business?
The scholarship was a blessing in that all the areas that were covered offered valuable information that I needed, from social media to HR. As a new business owner, I needed to know this to increase my own personal awareness in what it takes to run a successful business. The candidness of the presenters made it easy to see myself in their shoes and helped me to realize that I can also get there.
Want to feel motivated to take the next step for your business? Let Office Depot OfficeMax give you the confidence you need with a suite of business services & solutions to help you put your best foot forward. Make a good first impression with business cards & build the business pitch of your dreams with custom presentations. With Office Depot OfficeMax you'll find the tools to reach new customers with confidence.
Head to Office Depot's Selfmade page to check out even more amazing business resources (and discounts!) to help you accomplish more on your entrepreneurial journey. These offers are available for a limited time only, so be sure to take advantage of all this goodness while supplies last. Want to join the next Selfmade cohort this summer? Check out all of the scholarship details right here.