7 #OOTDs for the Week: How to Dress Sporty and Still Look Cute
Just because the athleisure trend ushered in a new era of universal sweatpants acceptability and okayed sweatshirts outside of the gym doesn’t mean that in order to jump on the sporty bandwagon, you have to always look like you’re on your way to SoulCycle. This week’s outfit inspiration is about how to look cute — like, date–night cute — in sporty duds with help from some of the most stylish ladies on Instagram. Scroll through these seven #OOTDs below for tips on how to elevate the class in gym class staples.
1. @yanafisti: Yana shows us that tennis-court cute looks really good when it’s played up with posh accessories. Keep the look completely out of costume territory with a chic, monochromatic palette that even more casual pieces like chambray shirts and chunky boots can conform to.
2. @myshowroomblog: True, there’s been a ton of buzz about white sneakers lately, but they’re not the only sporty-feeling shoe that can polish a casual look. On your next errand run, slip on a pair of boat shoes that fall right in with this season’s preppy loafer trend.
3. @frassyaudrey: Who knew that throwing a varsity-style jacket over your date night dress would make the look feel even sweeter? We have to say, the going-steady greaser vibe is totally working for Audrey here, especially with her polka dot hair tie and retro specs.
4. @fakeleather: Freshening up sneaks and a baby-soft tank is as easy as stacking your closet with luxe spring staples. See how basics like a perfectly scrunched denim jacket and leather shorts (yes, they count as basics) elevate Adrianna’s sportier pieces just like that.
5. @somethingintheway5: Even your basic sporty girl uniform — a graphic tee, boyfriend jeans and crisp white sneaks — can be classed up in an instant by following the age-old adage: opposites attract. Raquel’s cocktail party–ready faux fur coat adds a refined wink to her ultra-casual look (honorable mention to the dude here taking the same advice).
6. @queenofjetlags: Rather than embrace the sporty vibe of your sneakers, be inspired by them. Noor’s done just that by using her shoes’ pale purple and silver pops as the jumping off point for her entire office-ready look. For commuters and cozy girls alike, it’s a priceless style hack.
7. @seewantshop: Think outside the gym for your sporty girl inspiration by channeling too-cool surfer babes. With your wayfarers within arm’s reach, nail the effortlessly chic look with flowy layers, a clean palette and beach waves upon beach waves.
What Insta style stars do you follow? Do you do an #ootd on the regular? Tell us in the comments below, and be sure to tag your pics with @britandco for a chance to be featured in next week’s post.
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.