7 #OOTDs for the Week: How to Dress Sporty and Still Look Cute
Just because the athleisure trend ushered in a new era of universal sweatpants acceptability and okayed sweatshirts outside of the gym doesn’t mean that in order to jump on the sporty bandwagon, you have to always look like you’re on your way to SoulCycle. This week’s outfit inspiration is about how to look cute — like, date–night cute — in sporty duds with help from some of the most stylish ladies on Instagram. Scroll through these seven #OOTDs below for tips on how to elevate the class in gym class staples.
1. @yanafisti: Yana shows us that tennis-court cute looks really good when it’s played up with posh accessories. Keep the look completely out of costume territory with a chic, monochromatic palette that even more casual pieces like chambray shirts and chunky boots can conform to.
2. @myshowroomblog: True, there’s been a ton of buzz about white sneakers lately, but they’re not the only sporty-feeling shoe that can polish a casual look. On your next errand run, slip on a pair of boat shoes that fall right in with this season’s preppy loafer trend.
3. @frassyaudrey: Who knew that throwing a varsity-style jacket over your date night dress would make the look feel even sweeter? We have to say, the going-steady greaser vibe is totally working for Audrey here, especially with her polka dot hair tie and retro specs.
4. @fakeleather: Freshening up sneaks and a baby-soft tank is as easy as stacking your closet with luxe spring staples. See how basics like a perfectly scrunched denim jacket and leather shorts (yes, they count as basics) elevate Adrianna’s sportier pieces just like that.
5. @somethingintheway5: Even your basic sporty girl uniform — a graphic tee, boyfriend jeans and crisp white sneaks — can be classed up in an instant by following the age-old adage: opposites attract. Raquel’s cocktail party–ready faux fur coat adds a refined wink to her ultra-casual look (honorable mention to the dude here taking the same advice).
6. @queenofjetlags: Rather than embrace the sporty vibe of your sneakers, be inspired by them. Noor’s done just that by using her shoes’ pale purple and silver pops as the jumping off point for her entire office-ready look. For commuters and cozy girls alike, it’s a priceless style hack.
7. @seewantshop: Think outside the gym for your sporty girl inspiration by channeling too-cool surfer babes. With your wayfarers within arm’s reach, nail the effortlessly chic look with flowy layers, a clean palette and beach waves upon beach waves.
What Insta style stars do you follow? Do you do an #ootd on the regular? Tell us in the comments below, and be sure to tag your pics with @britandco for a chance to be featured in next week’s post.
You can wear many hats running a business and sometimes some look better than others. Thanks to Office Depot, we're talking with Koyun Fan, co-founder of Sticky Rice Sisters, about finding inspiration along the way and staying organized on the road to success.