This Blogger Spills How She Keeps Her Unicorn Hair Fresh + Healthy
If you’ve ever scoured Instagram looking for #hairinspo, then you know those girls. The ones whose hair is just, well, ridiculously perfect and absolutely amazing (cue the jelly emoticon now). How do they do it? Lucky for you, we’re getting up close and personal with those Instababes and asking them to spill their fab hair secrets.
For this installment of #Hairenvy, we’re getting up close and personal with @imperfectwonder, otherwise known as Casey Shteamer, Instababe and editor in chief of Imperfect Wonder. Her philosophy — that we don’t have to be perfect to be good, we just need to be true to ourselves — led her to start the blog, where she muses about fashion, apartment decor and beauty tips, all while snapping selfies around her hometown of Chicago. In between her adventures in travel and dyeing her hair every color of the rainbow, we got the scoop on how she pumps up her roots and keeps her color from fading, and the cool way she uses Pinterest to get inspo for future shades.
1. What is the first thing you do to your hair when you wake up? I’m pretty low key when it comes to morning hair. I’ll just run a brush through it.
2. Take us through the rest of your morning hair routine. If I am not washing it that day, I’ll add in some dry shampoo and fluff it up a bit to give it some volume. Sometimes I will straighten the ends as well.
3. What products do you swear by when you can only spend five minutes on your hair? I’ll dab on Moroccan Oil ($15) after I get out of the shower, then spritz a little Nexxus Mousse Plus Volumizing Styler ($14). If I am blow drying it, which takes longer, I use Catwalk Root Boost Spray ($19) just at the roots to give it more volume.
4. What’s your one tip to making your hair selfie-ready? Have my best friend do it!
5. What do you do when you wash your hair? I color my hair a lot and have had every color from pink to green to blue to orange. What I’ve learned over time is that to keep it looking fresh, you must shampoo only with cold water. If you use warm, it compromises the color and will make it look much more faded.
6. Air dry or blow dry? I air dry my hair if I don’t think I am going anywhere important to let it have a break from styling. Otherwise, I blow dry and then straighten or curl with a straightener.
7. What’s your current go-to style + why? I blow dry and then straighten the ends because it’s so quick and easy!