Proof That the Instant Pot Makes the Best Hard-Boiled Eggs
Boiling eggs over the stovetop can frequently yield less-than-desirable results. In a split second, the eggs can accidentally become overcooked, sulfur-y, and green. Or, if rushed, they are juuuust too undercooked to peel off the shell without wrecking the whites. While we love hacks like steaming the eggs, the Instant Pot does a remarkable job of soft- or hard-boiling them. The yolk remains velvety and moist, while the whites congeal completely. Plus, pressure cooking has a secret bonus: Those shells slip off without tearing the delicate whites. Learn how to make this essential below.
Instant Pot Soft- or Hard-Boiled Eggs Recipe
(Makes 6-9 eggs)
- eggs in their shells (enough to fit the bottom of your trivet in the Instant Pot without stacking)
- Instant Pot
1. Fill a large mixing bowl with ice and water. Set aside.
2. Place the Instant Pot insert into the multi-cooker. Fill with 1 cup water, then place the trivet on top.
3. Carefully place eggs on the trivet. Do not stack eggs on top of one another.
4. Close and lock the lid of the Instant Pot. Select the egg function. If your model doesn't have this, choose the manual or pressure-cook option. Set on high pressure for 3 minutes (for soft-boiled eggs), 4 minutes (for creamy hard-boiled eggs), or 5 minutes (for fully set hard-boiled eggs).
5. When the timer beeps, immediately cancel cooking and quick-release the steam.
6. Use tongs to carefully transfer the eggs into an ice bath.
7. When the eggs are cool enough to touch, tap one end of the egg on the kitchen counter and carefully peel off the shell. If any shards remain, dip the egg in the water bath to remove.
8. Cut in half, transfer to a plate, and eat immediately, or put in an air-tight container and store in the fridge for up to a week.
Find more helpful how-tos by following Brit + Co on Pinterest.
(Styling via Kayla Haykin/Brit + Co; photos via Brittany Griffin/Brit + Co)
- The Secret to Perfect Soft-Boiled Eggs Every Time - Brit + Co ›
- 16 Creative Ways to Use Up All of Those Leftover Hard Boiled Eggs ... ›
- How to Make the Prettiest Hard Boiled Eggs Ever - Brit + Co ›
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)