Proof That the Instant Pot Makes the Best Hard-Boiled Eggs
Boiling eggs over the stovetop can frequently yield less-than-desirable results. In a split second, the eggs can accidentally become overcooked, sulfur-y, and green. Or, if rushed, they are juuuust too undercooked to peel off the shell without wrecking the whites. While we love hacks like steaming the eggs, the Instant Pot does a remarkable job of soft- or hard-boiling them. The yolk remains velvety and moist, while the whites congeal completely. Plus, pressure cooking has a secret bonus: Those shells slip off without tearing the delicate whites. Learn how to make this essential below.
Instant Pot Soft- or Hard-Boiled Eggs Recipe
(Makes 6-9 eggs)
- eggs in their shells (enough to fit the bottom of your trivet in the Instant Pot without stacking)
- Instant Pot
1. Fill a large mixing bowl with ice and water. Set aside.
2. Place the Instant Pot insert into the multi-cooker. Fill with 1 cup water, then place the trivet on top.
3. Carefully place eggs on the trivet. Do not stack eggs on top of one another.
4. Close and lock the lid of the Instant Pot. Select the egg function. If your model doesn't have this, choose the manual or pressure-cook option. Set on high pressure for 3 minutes (for soft-boiled eggs), 4 minutes (for creamy hard-boiled eggs), or 5 minutes (for fully set hard-boiled eggs).
5. When the timer beeps, immediately cancel cooking and quick-release the steam.
6. Use tongs to carefully transfer the eggs into an ice bath.
7. When the eggs are cool enough to touch, tap one end of the egg on the kitchen counter and carefully peel off the shell. If any shards remain, dip the egg in the water bath to remove.
8. Cut in half, transfer to a plate, and eat immediately, or put in an air-tight container and store in the fridge for up to a week.
Find more helpful how-tos by following Brit + Co on Pinterest.
(Styling via Kayla Haykin/Brit + Co; photos via Brittany Griffin/Brit + Co)
- The Secret to Perfect Soft-Boiled Eggs Every Time - Brit + Co ›
- 16 Creative Ways to Use Up All of Those Leftover Hard Boiled Eggs ... ›
- How to Make the Prettiest Hard Boiled Eggs Ever - Brit + Co ›