10 Jack-o’-Lantern Festivals You Have to See to Believe
As soon as Halloween season rolls around, everybody heads to one of two places — a haunted house or a pumpkin patch. We have to admit, we’re guilty of frequenting them both. But after so many spooky seasons, we’re starting to crave some variety. The good news is we found a hybrid of both — a jack-o’-lantern festival. Well, actually, we found ten of them. Head over to any one of these impressive events, and you’ll spot anywhere from 1,000 to 30,000 glowing jack-o’-lanterns. These glowing pumpkins paint an eerie picture, like something straight out of a horror movie, but we weirdly can’t stop wishing we were there.
1. The Great Jack o’ Lantern Blaze (Croton-on-Hudson, New York): Over 5,000 individually hand-carved, illuminated jack-o’-lanterns are spookily and artfully arranged around an 18th-century riverside historic site. The elaborate outdoor walk-through experience comes complete with atmospheric music, sound effects and professional lighting, and it runs October 2 to November 7. (via Hudson Valley)
2. The Jack o’ Lantern Spectacular (Providence, Rhode Island): Every Halloween season, the Roger Williams Park Zoo transforms its wetlands trail in a spooky display of 5,000 glowing pumpkins. Over 30 professional carvers (that’s a job?) spend six weeks creating the jack-o’-lanterns, which are each placed in grouped themes. This year’s theme is “Jack-O-Lanterns from A to Z.” Intricate pumpkin art will be organized in alphabetical order, with highlights from history and pop culture. Spot these pretty pumpkins between October 2 and November 2. (via Roger Williams Park Zoo, image via Beaumont Enterprise)
3. Pony Express Pumpkin Fest (St. Joseph, Missouri): This weekend-long festival takes place at a former stop along the Pony Express, which is now a museum. Head over early for a day of live entertainment, a children’s costume parade, festival rides, games, crafts and food. When the sun goes down, stick around for the headlining event — the lighting of Pumpkin Mountain. Nearly 1,000 hand-carved jack-o’-lanterns are stacked over 25 feet high and come to life with the click of a switch. This annual festival is set to take place October 10-12. (via Pony Express)
4. Hallowe’en in Greenfield Village (Dearborn, Michigan): For this eerie event, make way to the living history section of The Henry Ford entertainment center. Take a stroll down streets and alleys covered in over 1,000 carved jack-o’-lanterns. Actors in period clothing and costumes act out several vignettes throughout the trail, complete with a “headless” horseman riding a real horse. Head over for the mile-long walk on October 10-12, 17-19 or 24-26. (via The Henry Ford, image via Michigan)
5. Keene Pumpkin Festival (Keene, New Hampshire): A pumpkin festival to top all pumpkin festivals, this event has been an annual treat for over 20 years. The world record for the number of jack-o’-lanterns lit at one event has been broken here eight times. Last year they broke the record again, reaching 30,581 pumpkins. That’s a whole lot of gourds. See the sight for yourself on October 18th. (via Pumpkin Festival, image via Sentinel Source)
6. Highwood Pumpkin Fest (Highwood, Illnois): The city of Highwood also attempts to break world records at their annual festival for the most jack-o’-lanterns lit in one location. This year the festival has partnered with the Autism Society of Illinois. The hope is to carve and light 52,000 pumpkins this year to represent the number of individuals impacted by autism in Illinois. This festival will take place October 17-19. (via Highwood Pumpkin Fest, image via 3us)
7. Great Pumpkin Fest (Worcester, Massachusetts): Local youth groups carve about 1,500 pumpkins for the after-dark display held on the grounds of the EcoTarium, a popular children’s science and nature museum. This event, geared towards kids ten and under, comes complete with full admission to the museum, a pumpkin carving demo, a digital planetarium show and trick-or-treating. Head over on October 25 to take part in the festivities. (via EcoTarium, image via Woman’s Day)
8. Camp Sunshine Pumpkin Festival: (Weston, MA and Freeport, ME): This event is happening in two locations! The first is set to take place at Weston Town Green in Massachusetts on October 18, where there will be live music, a silent auction, tasty treats and kids’ games. The second will be at L.L. Bean’s flagship store in Maine, where guests can enjoy live tunes, tasty treats, games and a costume parade. This festival no longer holds the record for most lit jack-o’-lanterns in one place, but you’re still likely to find over 10,000, and that’s not too shabby. The event is ultimately a fundraiser for Camp Sunshine, a retreat for children with life-threatening illnesses and their families. (via Camp Sunshine, image via Woman’s Day)
9. Rise of the Jack o’ Lanterns (Los Angeles, CA and Long Island, NY): More than 5,000 hand-carved jack-o’-lanterns created by professional artists and sculptors are arranged in artful displays throughout a quarter-mile scenic trail. Throughout the multi-sensory walk, visitors will see a re-creation of the New York City skyline, favorite sports and TV stars, a giant graveyard made of jack-o’-lanterns and a prehistoric arrangement of life-sized dinosaurs. This event takes place in LA from October 3 to November 2 and in Long Island, NY from October 16 to November 2. (via The Rise, image via Flickr)
10. Glow Night (Bluemont, Virginia): During the day, Great Country Farms has got a whole bunch of pumpkin-themed festivities. At 7:30 pm, nearly 2,000 jack-o’-lanterns, created by local students, are lit up. There is a competition for “Best in Glow,” scariest and funniest. Afterwards, the orange fruits are used for Pumpkin Chunkin’ Week, when they’re dropped from a 40-foot lift in an upside down “fireworks display.” This festival is occurring from September 27 through October 31. (via Great Country Farms, image via Lessburg Today)
Do any of these festival interest you? If you’re headed to any, please send us some pics! We’d love to see.
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.