Morning Buzz! Jay Z Finally Addresses Beyoncé’s Lemonade + More
Happy Hump Day, guys! From a glimpse into Jay Z’s Lemonade thoughts to the coolest job application ever, we’ve got six of today’s buzziest news items for you to check out below!
1. Jay Z speaks. Sort of. As soon as Beyonce dropped Lemonade, supposedly largely about her husband Jay Z’s infidelity, people have been waiting for Jay’s response. The rumor that the two of them may be dropping a joint album has been heating up in recent days, but we don’t have to wait for that unconfirmed album to finally hear Jay Z’s take on it all. On a Tidal exclusive by Fat Joe, Jay Z guests and says, “You know you made it when the fact/Your marriage made it is worth millions/Lemonade is a popular drink and it still is.” Okay, Jay. But you’re going to have to give us a little more than that. There’s also a nod to the late Prince, whose music is available on Tidal (owned by Jay Z), and a nod to — maybe — the infamous Jay Z and Solange elevator fight. “Prince left his masters where they safe and sound/We never gonna let the elevator take him down.” Now we’re talking! You can listen to the song over at EW.
2. HOLD UP — Kelis admits she’s never even made a milkshake. In recent years, singer Kelis has become known as much for her cooking as she is for her music (she is a certified chef, after all). But one recent bombshell will have you questioning everything you ever thought you know about anything. Chances are you remember the hit “Milkshake,” with the iconic line “My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard.” When a Guardian reporter recently asked her what would even go in a Kelis milkshake, our world came crumbling down. “I don’t think I’ve ever made a milkshake,” she says matter of factly. “I made a smoothie the other day that was really good – protein powder, spinach, orange and crushed ice with a little bit of honey and coconut water.” A smoothie bringing all the boys to the yard just doesn’t have the same ring to it…
3. You can now take a University class taught by Angelina Jolie. That’s right, Angelina has been appointed a visiting professor at the London School of Economics. Her class? The impact of war on women. “I am looking forward to teaching and to learning from the students, as well as to sharing my own experiences of working alongside governments and the United Nations,” she said. The new course on women, peace and security is apparently the first of its kind in the world. Bad. Ass. (Photo via Handout/Getty)
4. You can now apply for a job at your fave company Everlane through Snapchat. “What’s the best way to get hired in 2016? We think this might be it. Tell us why you’d be perfect for any open roles by making a Snapchat story.” Everlane has gone peak millenial — and we kind of love it. The Lever job posting goes on to say that 8 of 10 people at their new Shoe Park were hired because of a Snapchat story! Even outside of all of that, the best part of this job posting? They encourage you to name a role you think you’d be great for if it doesn’t already exist. A. Mazing. (Image via Mark Kolbe/Getty)
5. This cat is our Hump Day spirit animal. Just dragging our lazy butts down the stairs in the morning. It’s too much!
6. Quote of the day: “It was difficult to know what to do after The Beatles. How do you follow that?” Paul McCartney with the understatement of the century, proving that everyone gets paralyzed by fear.
What’s been your biggest fear you’ve overcome? Let us know over @BritandCo!
(Featured image by Mike Coppola/Getty)
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)