Kohlrabi. Have you seen this kooky, knobby vegetable at your local greenmarket and decided to pass it up? We don’t blame you — its alien-looking appearance is a bit disconcerting, after all — but these 12 recipes will show that there’s nothing to fear when it comes to this root. A cross between a potato, turnip and cabbage, it takes well to all kinds of preparations. As you’ll see, it can be fashioned into fries, crunchy slaws and so much more!
1. Kohlrabi Chips with Hippie Ranch Dip (Vegan): These thickly-cut chips are delicious whether you bake them in the oven or toss ’em on the grill. The nutty tamari ranch is the perfect dip to serve alongside. (via Dishing Up The Dirt)
2. Korean Beef Tacos with Cabbage and Kohlrabi: Cabbage, kohlrabi and onion are quick-pickled to create the crunchy slaw that makes these tacos tops. (via Cheese and Chocolate)
3. Spicy Red Cabbage Kohlrabi Salad: We’re ready to drizzle the kicky jalapeño dressing on just about everything. (via My Kitchen in the Rockies)
4. Apple, Fennel + Kohlrabi Salad with Maple-Roasted Pecans: This salad is not at all short on texture and fall flavors! (via Wild Greens and Sardines)
5. Chili-Dusted Kohlrabi Fries: Cilantro lime yogurt sauce is a perfect match for these spicy baked fries. (via Five and Spice)
6. Butter-Braised Kohlrabi: Tender cubes of kohlrabi are a terrific accompaniment to all kinds of roasted meat. (via Saveur)
7. Sunshine Bowl with Sunflower Seed Tahini Sauce: With so many bright colors and flavors, this bowlful of heathy foods is impossible to resist. (via Feasting At Home)
8. Quick Kohlrabi Kimchi: Why yes, we can pickle that, too! (via Jeanette’s Healthy Living)
9. Vegan Cream of Kohlrabi Soup: A handful of raw cashews are employed to impart this vegan soup with a cream-less creaminess. (via Vegan Miam)
10. Kohlrabi Risotto: Risotto is always brilliant at cloaking vegetables, and this recipe is no exception — a whole pound of kohlrabi is stirred in! (via The New York Times)
11. Vietnamese Beef and Kohlrabi Salad: Doesn’t this lettuce-free salad look so good? Keep it in mind this winter. (via Gourmantine)
12. Kohlrabi Bok Choy Pizza: Want to get the most of out of your kolrabi bunch? Swap out the kale for kohlrabi greens instead! (via The Local Kitchener)
Have you ever cooked with kohlrabi before? If so, let us know what you made in the comments!