Exclusive: Lauren Conrad Shares What to Wear to Every Spring Event
We’ve always dreamed of having our fave celebs be our stylists, especially when we’re getting ready for a major event. Seriously, who better than a star to help you tackle those moments where cameras will be flashing and what we wear will go down in Internet infamy? So we nabbed one of our style/beauty/DIY/everything idols, Lauren Conrad, for advice on what to wear to every important spring occasion.
As expected, her recs are breezy, feminine and surprisingly practical, just like her own personal style. Scroll down for LC’s exclusive tips for dressing up for your bestie’s baby showers to brunch with mom and more, plus three shoppable ways to wear each look.
MOTHER’S DAY BRUNCH
“Stick to a more modest option. Especially if Grandma is joining you.” Try:
1. COS Round-Shoulder Dress ($125): Looking for something chic and full-coverage? Smock dresses are your go-to. This one comes in a lovely watercolor print that everyone — not just your mom — is sure to compliment.
2. Mango Drawstring Waist Dress ($60): This 3/4-sleeved frock ensures a flattering silhouette with its drawstring waist. The flowy fabric gives the dress an ultra airy vibe that helps you feel like you’re not too covered up, though its definitely a no-cardi-required piece.
3. GAP Chambray Boatneck Dress ($70): The boatneck neckline keeps this chambray dress from feeling too casual — a colorful statement necklace and heeled sandals will take it to brunch-worthy levels just like that.
“Avoid black if possible. Definitely avoid white. Maxis are always a safe bet.” Try:
4. The Reformation Citronella Dress ($218): Besides being one of those maxis that’s totally sexy in a subtle way (less of a power walk should flash only some leg as you walk down the aisle to your seat), the royal blue hue of this silky frock makes this a go-to for any season.
5. Paper Crown Dahlia Maxi Dress ($268): Just because you’re not the one getting married doesn’t mean you can’t still carry a bouquet! Wear your flowers on your dress with this elegant maxi from LC’s own Paper Crown clothing ine.
6. Jarlo Delilah Maxi Dress With Ruched Bodice and Lace Inserts ($163): Sheer has never looked so sophisticated as lace panels that compliment a perfectly ruched bodice. Oh, and the lush color is to die for too.
FOR A PARTY YOU’RE HOSTING
“Wear comfortable shoes. You are already rushing around making sure everything is running smoothly. Don’t make it any more difficult on yourself.” Try:
7. Selected Evita Metallic Rose Gold Leather Espadrille Flat Sandals ($95): Espadrilles are shaping up to be the shoe of the season, and thanks to its slightly thicker sole, they’re a great way to get some extra support. In metallic rose gold, that’s hard to beat.
8. Swedish Hasbeens Fredrica in Pearl Combo ($295): Support the natural curve of your foot with these hand-crafted clogs that boast a particularly sweet (and perfect for spring) color pattern (matching pedi, anyone?).
9. F-Troupe Bow Brogue Oxford ($198): Durable yet dressy brogues just got the cutest makeover ever with this contrast bow. Be sure to slip on your best pair of sheer patterned socks with these flats.
“Take advantage of events like showers and break out your ultra-feminine pieces.” Try:
10. ASOS Salon Applique Petal Lace Skater Dress ($135): Covered in floral appliques — you can’t get more feminine-feeling than that, especially when styled with a romantically tousled updo.
11. Zara Layered Dress ($100): There are non-cheesy ways to wear ruffles, and this one — a single, ’70s-feeling overlay — happens to also include a cape to cut the frill factor even more. Turn up the drama with lace-up sandals or tame it with block heels.
12. Urban Outfitters Kimchi Blue Medallion Fit Flare Dress ($79): The combination of this curvy silhouette, delicate lace and soft pastel hue make this dress a girly girl dream. Keep the look ultra elegant with black kitten heels.
What are your go-to styles for your biggest spring events? Tell us how you choose your outfits for each occasion in the comments below.
(Photo via Michael Buckner/Getty)
It can be intimidating to step out on your own and build a business from the ground up. As part of our collaboration with Office Depot, we're talking with Selfmade alum and solopreneur Colette Lawrence, the faith-based motivator and relationship builder behind The M.E.E. Movement, about ways in which women in business can find success.
B + C: How did you know M.E.E. Movement was your business to start?
The M.E.E Movement represents motivation, empowerment, and encouragement for women. It is what represents me. I did not know at first that it was my business to start, but then the thought of monetizing what I loved came to me. It scared me, however. I registered the business in July 2020 and have been slowly building my wings since.
B + C: What's one strategy that's helped you start your business?
Thinking through and researching what the requirements are to start my business, and then asking questions of people who are in the business. Not all advice worked; however, it helped me to figure out what I needed to do and not to do.
B + C: Did you always know life coaching would be your entrepreneurial path?
(Smiles) No, I did not. I 'stumbled" on it. I knew that people were always coming to me for advice and I found that I loved having conversations with them, especially with women, young and old.
B + C: What was your most valuable takeaway from Selfmade?
My most valuable takeaway was the first day of training: Get out of your own way. There were a lot of great moments and important takeaways from every presenter. However, getting out of my own way, pushing past doubts, was for me my most valuable takeaway. Doing something that I had never done before took courage. If I do not focus on what is happening with me mentally then I cannot deliver to my clients successfully.
B + C: What's one piece of advice you would give to female entrepreneurs on the brink of starting?
Get out of your head. You have something to offer. You have what you need to succeed so go ahead and do it.
B + C: How do you stay motivated?
I stay motivated by listening to music and listening to motivational speakers, and sometimes someone will just reach out and talk about the impact that I made in their life. That adds the extra juice or sauce I need to pummel through the day.
B + C: What's your best organizational tip?
Keep a diary and journal. It's the best way for me to keep organized and it also provides a source motivation as I record not only my "losses" but my wins as well.
B + C: Who inspires you in the entrepreneurial space?
Shirley Toliver – She motivates and empowers and makes me always want to show up.
B + C: What has receiving the Office Depot scholarship to Selfmade done to help you start or grow your business?
The scholarship was a blessing in that all the areas that were covered offered valuable information that I needed, from social media to HR. As a new business owner, I needed to know this to increase my own personal awareness in what it takes to run a successful business. The candidness of the presenters made it easy to see myself in their shoes and helped me to realize that I can also get there.
Want to feel motivated to take the next step for your business? Let Office Depot OfficeMax give you the confidence you need with a suite of business services & solutions to help you put your best foot forward. Make a good first impression with business cards & build the business pitch of your dreams with custom presentations. With Office Depot OfficeMax you'll find the tools to reach new customers with confidence.
Head to Office Depot's Selfmade page to check out even more amazing business resources (and discounts!) to help you accomplish more on your entrepreneurial journey. These offers are available for a limited time only, so be sure to take advantage of all this goodness while supplies last. Want to join the next Selfmade cohort this summer? Check out all of the scholarship details right here.