We’ve always dreamed of having our fave celebs be our stylists, especially when we’re getting ready for a major event. Seriously, who better than a star to help you tackle those moments where cameras will be flashing and what we wear will go down in Internet infamy? So we nabbed one of our style/beauty/DIY/everything idols, Lauren Conrad, for advice on what to wear to every important spring occasion.
As expected, her recs are breezy, feminine and surprisingly practical, just like her own personal style. Scroll down for LC’s exclusive tips for dressing up for your bestie’s baby showers to brunch with mom and more, plus three shoppable ways to wear each look.
MOTHER’S DAY BRUNCH
“Stick to a more modest option. Especially if Grandma is joining you.” Try:
1. COS Round-Shoulder Dress ($125): Looking for something chic and full-coverage? Smock dresses are your go-to. This one comes in a lovely watercolor print that everyone — not just your mom — is sure to compliment.
2. Mango Drawstring Waist Dress ($60): This 3/4-sleeved frock ensures a flattering silhouette with its drawstring waist. The flowy fabric gives the dress an ultra airy vibe that helps you feel like you’re not too covered up, though its definitely a no-cardi-required piece.
3. GAP Chambray Boatneck Dress ($70): The boatneck neckline keeps this chambray dress from feeling too casual — a colorful statement necklace and heeled sandals will take it to brunch-worthy levels just like that.
“Avoid black if possible. Definitely avoid white. Maxis are always a safe bet.” Try:
4. The Reformation Citronella Dress ($218): Besides being one of those maxis that’s totally sexy in a subtle way (less of a power walk should flash only some leg as you walk down the aisle to your seat), the royal blue hue of this silky frock makes this a go-to for any season.
5. Paper Crown Dahlia Maxi Dress ($268): Just because you’re not the one getting married doesn’t mean you can’t still carry a bouquet! Wear your flowers on your dress with this elegant maxi from LC’s own Paper Crown clothing ine.
6. Jarlo Delilah Maxi Dress With Ruched Bodice and Lace Inserts ($163): Sheer has never looked so sophisticated as lace panels that compliment a perfectly ruched bodice. Oh, and the lush color is to die for too.
FOR A PARTY YOU’RE HOSTING
“Wear comfortable shoes. You are already rushing around making sure everything is running smoothly. Don’t make it any more difficult on yourself.” Try:
7. Selected Evita Metallic Rose Gold Leather Espadrille Flat Sandals ($95): Espadrilles are shaping up to be the shoe of the season, and thanks to its slightly thicker sole, they’re a great way to get some extra support. In metallic rose gold, that’s hard to beat.
8. Swedish Hasbeens Fredrica in Pearl Combo ($295): Support the natural curve of your foot with these hand-crafted clogs that boast a particularly sweet (and perfect for spring) color pattern (matching pedi, anyone?).
9. F-Troupe Bow Brogue Oxford ($198): Durable yet dressy brogues just got the cutest makeover ever with this contrast bow. Be sure to slip on your best pair of sheer patterned socks with these flats.
“Take advantage of events like showers and break out your ultra-feminine pieces.” Try:
10. ASOS Salon Applique Petal Lace Skater Dress ($135): Covered in floral appliques — you can’t get more feminine-feeling than that, especially when styled with a romantically tousled updo.
11. Zara Layered Dress ($100): There are non-cheesy ways to wear ruffles, and this one — a single, ’70s-feeling overlay — happens to also include a cape to cut the frill factor even more. Turn up the drama with lace-up sandals or tame it with block heels.
12. Urban Outfitters Kimchi Blue Medallion Fit Flare Dress ($79): The combination of this curvy silhouette, delicate lace and soft pastel hue make this dress a girly girl dream. Keep the look ultra elegant with black kitten heels.
What are your go-to styles for your biggest spring events? Tell us how you choose your outfits for each occasion in the comments below.
(Photo via Michael Buckner/Getty)