9 Gifts to Show Your Favorite Lefty Some Love on National Left Hander’s Day
Did you know that over 66 percent of lefties are frequently frustrated by everyday objects that are designed for right-handed people? Think pens, scissors, corkscrews, etc. According to a survey by BIC conducted by Wakefield Research, more than two-thirds of left-handed Americans have actually ruined an important document with the dreaded palm smear. Left-handers make up 10 percent of the population, but almost all *essential* products are designed solely for right-hand use. That just doesn’t seem right to us. Scroll on for nine products that will make left-handed life a lot less dangerous and a little more fun.
1. Mighty Paper Shop Ink Rollerball Pen ($17+): When writing left to right, it’s a challenge to not smear anything. This ergonomically designed rollerball comes with a special grip zone that ensures optimum writing position and has fast-drying ink that allows your hand to easily move along as you write, sans smudging.
2. Imborrable Lefybook Sanz i Vila ($8): Notebooks can be a real annoyance to lefties, but this one has the spine conveniently placed on the right side. That means no more spiral or smudge marks on your writing hand! The fact that it doubles as a ruler and says “Lefties Rule” on it makes it even better.
3. Whiskey River Soap Co. Soap for Lefties ($9): Lefties deserve their own special desk accessories and kitchen utensils, so why not give them their own soap? This totally hilarious gift pokes fun in the friendliest of ways. Oh, and apparently the soap smells like grade school glue.
4. Cafe Press Left Handed Scissors Tote Bag ($23): If you’ve ever had to battle those backward scissors, you need to upgrade to a lefty pair. Then grab this tote bag so your right-handed friends can *finally* understand the struggle.
5. Lefty’s the Left Handed Store Left-Handed Kitchen Set ($50, six pieces): Left-handed chefs, rejoice! You can now stir, whisk, and blend your scrumptious meals with the greatest of ease thanks to these utensils specifically designed for Y-O-U.
6. The Carbon Crusader Left Handed Right Minded Engraved Pencils ($8, set of six): Obviously this bunch of cheeky pencils belongs in every lefty’s desk drawer.
7. Lefty’s The Left Hand Store Lefty’s True Left-handed Playing Cards ($13, set of two): What makes a left-handed deck of cards different? The suits are printed on opposite corners so a lefty can fan the cards in their right hand, seeing the numbers in the corners, and then play the cards with left.
8. Chummy Tees Left Handed T-Shirt ($24): Keep a case of the lefty blues at bay with this cheeky graphic tee that will give you some serious sass. Between battling the smudge factor and grappling with right-handed prejudice, you’ll be equipped for it all when you’re sporting this top.
9. Lefty’s The Left Hand Store Lefty’s Left-Handed Two-Cup Glass Measuring Cup ($20): Never twist your wrist trying to read measurements again. This heavy duty clear glass measuring cup is designed specifically for the left hander with the measurements printed so that they can be read when held in the left hand.
Looking for more one-of-a-kind gift ideas? Follow us on Pinterest!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.