How to Flawlessly Grill Fish Without Losing It
We’d all agree that patio grillin’ in the heat of the summer is where it’s at. But there’s *nothing* worse than being pumped about grilling a delicious salmon, and then watching it fall through the grate into a fiery pit of doom. (Nooooooo!) This summer, things are gonna be different. We’ve got eight valuable tips and tricks that will ensure your fish grilling skills are off the hook.
1.Heat the grill and grease it up. To keep delicate fish from sticking, season the grates, much like you would a cast-iron skillet. While your grill gets all hot and toasty, lightly dip a crumpled paper towel in oil. Grab the paper towel clump with tongs and glide it along the grate until it’s black and glossy, re-dipping the towels as needed. It’s recommended to do this about five times.
2. Brush both sides of the fillets with vegetable oil. A coating of oil on the top and bottom helps prevent dreaded sticking.
3. Hit the fillets with some S + P. At the very least, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Just the save the sauces until the fillets are removed from the grill.
4. Place the fish skin-side down onto the grill, diagonal to the grate slats. Doing so makes for easy flipping and removing, so you don’t have to have an anxiety attack upon slipping your spatula beneath your fish.
5. Reduce heat to medium and cover for 2-4 minutes. At this point, you just want to close your grill lid and walk away… but not too far away! If you need to slide back into the house and prepare other goodies, set yourself a two-minute reminder so you can check on your fish.
6. Check on the fish by lifting it with a spatula. The best way to see how your fish is doing is by carefully lifting it with a spatula. If it doesn’t separate from the grate easily, let it be. Continue to cook it, and check it every 30 seconds until it releases itself.
7. Using two spatulas, carefully flip the fish to skin-side down. In the case of flipping fish, two spatulas are better than one. You want to avoid flipping with tongs like you would with other meats, because squeezing delicate fish is a dangerous game. Be gentle, flip with two spatulas, and do a happy dance because you’realmost there!
8. Cover and cook until the internal temp reaches 145 degrees Fahrenheit. Cooking times in this last step will vary. Some fillets only need an extra three minutes, while thicker cuts need up to seven. To know exactly when it’s done, use an instant-read thermometer. Once the fillet reaches 145 degrees Fahrenheit, you’re good to go. If you don’t have one, cook the fish until it’s opaque on all sides and flakes away easily with a fork.
Want more useful tips and tricks for your summer cookin’? Follow us on Pinterest.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)