Upgrade Your Midweek Meals With These 8 Tips
There are tons of tricks and tips out there for weeknight meal planning (hello, meal prep!). But now that the food’s in the slow cooker, how do you actually get in the zone to enjoy dinnertime? Between work, spin class, and catching up on your Netflix queue, weeknight dinners often get put on the back burner (no pun intended). That’s why we put together a few seriously simple suggestions for how to make those few minutes around the table actually count.
1. Enforce a no-screen zone. Turn off all of your devices. Even if it’s only for 30 minutes, you’ll feel like you got a mental break. You’ll also be able to better connect with your friends and family, if you’re dining with company.
2. Designate your dining area. It’s tempting to flop on the sofa, but chances are you’ll have a more mindful experience if you set up a specific place to enjoy your meal. A table is great, but the end of the counter with a couple of bar stools will also do just fine. Keep the space free of clutter and instead set out a vase, salt and pepper shakers, or a few votive candles.
3. Treat yourself to real place settings. Subtle upgrades can make even pizza delivery feel special. Cloth napkins are easy to toss into your weekly laundry rotation, and a couple of placemats not only set the scene but also keep cleanup a breeze.
4. Upgrade your beverage. Whether it’s a glass of wine or a simple carafe of water, having a proper beverage puts out the restaurant vibes.
5. Dine al fresco. If you have an outdoor patio or backyard, make use of it. A little fresh air will break up weeknight monotony. Even on cooler nights, it’s fun to bundle up and head outside with a bowl of something warm and delicious.
6. Turn on the tunes. Background music always adds ambiance. Just keep the volume low and go for something mellow that you can easily converse over.
7. Clean as you go. You’ll have a more relaxing meal if you’re not stressed about facing a disaster kitchen later. Use the time while your food is cooking to wipe down counters, put away ingredients, and wash dishes used in prep.
8. If you’re going to ignore the rules, own it. If you’ve been waiting for The Bachelorette all week, make it the main event. Plan a low maintenance meal that can be easily enjoyed from your sofa and get cozy. A charcuterie board is perfect for grazing, or grab takeout and a bottle of your favorite bubbly.
Looking for more midweek meal inspo? Follow us on Pinterest for tons of easy recipes!
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)