25 Retro Party Ideas All Mad Men Watchers Should Try
Spring is here, and you know what that means? Mad Men is back. We’re counting down the days until April 13th when season seven premieres, and we want to celebrate in style with a little theme party. It’s the beginning of the end so you better get in another ’60s cocktail party. Lucky (strike?) for you, we have all of the essentials covered. Mad Men themed goodies? Check. Modern twists on retro treats? Check. Classic cocktails? Super check. Get ready to throw a Mad Men bash of your own with these 25 Sterling Cooper & Partners-approved party must-haves.
4. DIY Bar Tray: Bar trays: Perfect for your party, even more perfect for your apartment. This is the DIY furniture gift that keeps on giving. Set it up ’60s style for your Mad Men soiree, then stock it with your modern faves post-party. (via Honestly Yum)
5. Printable Mad Men Masks: Photo booth anyone? Set these out for great guest pictures, or prop them up as decorations. They’re also the easiest Mad Men costume you could come up with. Just throw on a little retro dress and you’re ready to go! (via AMC)
6. Dyed Simple Syrups: Your fancypants cocktail bar needs simple syrups, so why not give them a seasonal makeover? You can sweeten the deal with these pastel colored syrups well past the spring premiere. (via A Subtle Revelry)
8. Cocktail Stirrer: How much do you love cocktail accessories? Us too! We’re ready for the oh-so-glam cocktail stirrer to make a permanent comeback. Give your guzzlers a little more glitz with this DIY version. (via Brit + Co.)
10. Brandy Alexander Cupcakes: Another yummy interpretation of a classic drink! These glittery cupcakes incorporate all the delicious flavors from a Brandy Alexander, one of Betty Draper’s favorite cocktails. (via The Devilled Egg)
12. Turquoise Palm Beach Bar Cart ($950): This gorgeous bar cart is the perfect blend of retro and modern styling, and the color is dreamy. Debut it at your Mad Men party, then enjoy it all year long.
15. Asparagus Roll Ups With Balsamic Reduction: It’s a fresh variation on the ’60s classic cocktail party treat, pigs in a blanket! They’re also vegetarian, so everyone can get in on the retro party snack fun. (via Joyful Healthy Eats)
18. Homemade Bitters: Your home bar will never be the same. Customize your very own bitters and add a little delicious pizzazz to your favorite drinks. You could even give them Mad Men themed flavors and labels. How about “Joan’s Cherry Vanilla Bitters” in honor of our favorite redhead? (via How Sweet It Is)
19. DIY Chalkboard Martini Glass: Give your glassware some festive color, and never lose your drink again! Turquoise chalkboard martini glasses feel fresh and retro. Don’t forget to set out some chalk for your guests to add their names! These could also double as a fun party favor. (via Something Turquoise)
20. Megan Draper Makeup: We’ve loved the beauty looks for all the classic Mad Men ladies, but for a season seven party, it’s time to break out the modern ’60s makeup with a Megan Draper look. How cute is that cat eye? We might keep this beauty guide for some post-party makeup inspiration too. (via XO Vain)
21. Camembert Fondue: Want to do your best Megan Draper impression and serve fondue, but lack the amazing fondue pot? Try this super simple version that you bake in the Camembert container. (via Food Republic)
22. Shrimp Cocktail Shots: Keep your guests from hovering around the shrimp cocktail platter with portable shrimp cocktail shots! That way they can mingle and trade Mad Men predictions while enjoying this delicious retro treat. #HostessWin (via Rachael Ray)
24. Cigarette Russes Cookies: The Mad Men bunch might live in a cloud of cigarette smoke, but friends don’t let friends chain smoke like it’s 1968. Friends do let friends munch on cute crunchy cigarette-shaped cookies though. (via Smitten Kitchen)
25. Turkey Zucchini Meatballs: It’s not a ’60s party without meatballs. Try this modern farmers’ market-friendly twist on the classic meatball, packed with bright green herbs and zucchini. (via A Cozy Kitchen)
What’s your favorite cocktail party treat? And who’s your favorite Mad Men character? Let us know in the comments below!