12 Picture Purr-fect Cat Eyes
While we still have a minute to reminisce about the best beauty comebacks of 2013, we’ll revel in the delight of the cat eye, that edgy yet elegant flick of upper eye liner that recalls the easy glamour of the ’60s. It’s safe to say that with decades in between its initial popularity and this very moment, beauty mavens have been able to update the look to something that feels very now. If you’re planning on rocking the look into the new year, check out these 12 modern cat eyes that are picture purr-fect.
1. Quick and Easy Cat Eye: Here’s the way to wear this look everyday: you’ll need to grab black shadow, a dampened angled eye liner brush, and a tube of matching liquid eye liner to highlight the angled flick. (via Camille Styles)
2. Cat Eye Stamp: Beauty hack! This method of application guarantees that you’ll never screw up the cat eye again! Just cut a pencil eraser at a sharp angle and once it’s saturated with liquid eye liner, stamp it onto your lids. Genius! (via xo Vain)
3. The Peacock Eye: Add serious glam to your cat eye with sparkly white highlights and a dramatic blue lid that will leave you looking as pretty as a peacock. This look was made for ladies with monolid eyes, though any gal with a taste for the dramatic should try. (via Refinery29)
4. Teal Liquid Liner Cat Eye: We love this look that lets you stick with your basic feline flick, but pushes it to a much more colorful place. This teal color is to die for, though at the moment we’d try it in a lilac or other purple shade. (via Keiko Lynn)
5. 4 Cat Eye DIYs for Your Eye Shape: These tutorials help you perfect the elusive symmetry of the cat eye while showing you how to personalize the look to compliment your eye type. So no matter if your eyes are almond-shaped or round, you’ll find a way to master the flick every time. (via Refinery29)
7. Bottom Liner Cat Eye: Show your bottom lash some love with this low-sweeping cat eye. We love how this look elongates the eye with a flick at the inner corner as well as the dramatic lower liner. (via Makeup & Beauty Blog)
8. The Coloured Cat Eye: This smokey eye-cat eye combo is unmistakably modern thanks to the base layer of rust colored shadow. It’s a softer version of the traditional bold cat eye that we’ll definitely embrace in 2014. (via Refinery29)
9. Tape Cat Eye: Here’s another fabulous cat eye hack that will floor you: use office tape get a perfect edge for your cat eye. The result is a dreamy airbrushed effect that may look less cartoon-y in a softer shadow shade like brown or silver. (via Beautylish)
10. Punk Cat Eye: If you’re gonna go for a punk rock look, who better to emulate than the vicious vixen Debbie Harry? Keep the look modern by pairing this bold eye with neutral cheeks and lips. (via Refinery29)
12. Glitter Cat Eye: If you’re searching for last-minute NYE makeup inspo, then look no further: this double winged cat eye is everything. We’d even rock it sans sparkles the following day! Two looks in one tutorial? Happy New Year indeed! (via Babble)
Was the cat eye your favorite makeup look of 2013? What other beauty trends did you love? What trends are you looking forward to in the new year? Tell us in the comments below!
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.