10 Kickstarter Projects You’re Going to Want to Put Your Money Behind in March 2016
Thanks to the power of crowdfunding, we’ve gotten to see a lot of pretty damn cool inventions come to life, like the Knix 8-in-1 Evolution Bra and or even this odd butter spray contraption. All in all, there’s a treasure trove of campaigns on crowdfunding sites like Indiegogo and Kickstarter that you can back, but it can get overwhelming sorting through the mix. So we’ll do it for you! Here’s our list of innovative new Kickstarter projects to back for March 2016. Check out the goods below.
2. The Mighty: This teeny audio player is like an iPod Shuffle, but for streaming! Plus, it has a 4GB hard drive. All you need is Bluetooth connection to sync your playlists initially, and then you’re out the door. Spend $79, and you’re in the portable streaming club.
3. Kirrin Finch Button Up Shirt: This sleek, professional button-up shirt works for many female bodies. Made and designed in NYC, you no longer need to borrow from the fellas or worry about your shirt bunching in the wrong places with these menswear-inspired — but made for women’s bodies — button ups. Spend $50, and you get the perfect business casual, gender neutral and universally flattering top you could ever hope for. Dress it up or down as you please!
4. World’s Best Travel Jeans: Look cool and stay comfortable while traveling, and arrive dressed to hit the town — instead of in your airport sweats. These jeans comes in three styles, and they work for men and women. Aviator USA has made a stretch denim pant that fits your passport and travel documents in the front pockets easily. The back pockets are “pickpocket proof” too, and the dark wash looks sophisticated. Jump in for about $100, and they’ll be yours.
5. Sweateralls: Comfy, stylish and perfect for active adults, these overalls made of fleece sweatshirt material are pretty much everything you could hope for in an outfit. And you can still get in for only $50! Dress them up or down, and support fair wages and local production in Los Angeles. Get into it and cozy up!
6. KP Duffle: The ultimate travel duffel for on-the-go adventurers, the KP Duffle has all the space you need. It’s a minimalist, angular design that has awesome outside pockets for must-have items, like your smartphone and travel water bottle. There’s also a super organized “utility hatch” and a shoe pocket for your favorite kicks. You’re looking at $170 for one of the only bags you’ll ever need, built to last. Weekend getaways, here you come.
7. Unicorn Poop Stuffed Scarves: If unicorns, rainbows and scarves with a sense of humor are your thing, meet these Unicorn Poop Stuffed Scarves. Cartoon unicorns are the inspiration for these bright, colorful, whimsical scarves. Stuffed animals double as fun decor and scarf holders, for about $50. In case you’re less about cute mystical creatures and more about the adorably macabre, there’s zombie entrails stuffed scarves too.
8. What? Watch Calendar Watch: Need help keeping up with your to-do list and #goals? This watch syncs with your favorite digital calendars for comprehensive time-keeping. The display shows strategically dark and light sections to indicate booked appointments on your schedule, and keeps you from being buried in your smartphone (or at the mercy of its battery life every day). About $265 will elevate the entire concept of the wristwatch in your life, and it’s available in three colors.
9. Vetta Capsule Clothing Collection: This clothing collection is responsible, sustainable fashion with a distinctive French-chic sensibility. These collections are made of five pieces, which can be mixed and matched to create 30 different outfits. They’re made in the US in ethical factories, from high-quality, hand-selected fabrics. Vetta created a Kickstarter to reach their minimum production goals, set for release this summer. Pledge $59 and up for individual pieces, or jump to $425 for a brand new #capsulewardrobe.
It can be intimidating to step out on your own and build a business from the ground up. As part of our collaboration with Office Depot, we're talking with Selfmade alum and solopreneur Colette Lawrence, the faith-based motivator and relationship builder behind The M.E.E. Movement, about ways in which women in business can find success.
B + C: How did you know M.E.E. Movement was your business to start?
The M.E.E Movement represents motivation, empowerment, and encouragement for women. It is what represents me. I did not know at first that it was my business to start, but then the thought of monetizing what I loved came to me. It scared me, however. I registered the business in July 2020 and have been slowly building my wings since.
B + C: What's one strategy that's helped you start your business?
Thinking through and researching what the requirements are to start my business, and then asking questions of people who are in the business. Not all advice worked; however, it helped me to figure out what I needed to do and not to do.
B + C: Did you always know life coaching would be your entrepreneurial path?
(Smiles) No, I did not. I 'stumbled" on it. I knew that people were always coming to me for advice and I found that I loved having conversations with them, especially with women, young and old.
B + C: What was your most valuable takeaway from Selfmade?
My most valuable takeaway was the first day of training: Get out of your own way. There were a lot of great moments and important takeaways from every presenter. However, getting out of my own way, pushing past doubts, was for me my most valuable takeaway. Doing something that I had never done before took courage. If I do not focus on what is happening with me mentally then I cannot deliver to my clients successfully.
B + C: What's one piece of advice you would give to female entrepreneurs on the brink of starting?
Get out of your head. You have something to offer. You have what you need to succeed so go ahead and do it.
B + C: How do you stay motivated?
I stay motivated by listening to music and listening to motivational speakers, and sometimes someone will just reach out and talk about the impact that I made in their life. That adds the extra juice or sauce I need to pummel through the day.
B + C: What's your best organizational tip?
Keep a diary and journal. It's the best way for me to keep organized and it also provides a source motivation as I record not only my "losses" but my wins as well.
B + C: Who inspires you in the entrepreneurial space?
Shirley Toliver – She motivates and empowers and makes me always want to show up.
B + C: What has receiving the Office Depot scholarship to Selfmade done to help you start or grow your business?
The scholarship was a blessing in that all the areas that were covered offered valuable information that I needed, from social media to HR. As a new business owner, I needed to know this to increase my own personal awareness in what it takes to run a successful business. The candidness of the presenters made it easy to see myself in their shoes and helped me to realize that I can also get there.
Want to feel motivated to take the next step for your business? Let Office Depot OfficeMax give you the confidence you need with a suite of business services & solutions to help you put your best foot forward. Make a good first impression with business cards & build the business pitch of your dreams with custom presentations. With Office Depot OfficeMax you'll find the tools to reach new customers with confidence.
Head to Office Depot's Selfmade page to check out even more amazing business resources (and discounts!) to help you accomplish more on your entrepreneurial journey. These offers are available for a limited time only, so be sure to take advantage of all this goodness while supplies last. Want to join the next Selfmade cohort this summer? Check out all of the scholarship details right here.