16 Fried Tofu Recipes That Will Blow Your Mind This Meatless Monday
Tofu can totally knock your socks off with flavor — especially if you throw some on the grill or impale it on vegetarian skewers. But no matter which way you cook it, one thing remains true: It must be prepared properly. With that in mind, there is still an unsettling number of naysayers out there who have yet to experience tofu *done right* and give you the stink eye at the mere mention of it. But hey, if you can prepare tofu like a pro, now is a great time to prove that there are tasty tofu recipes for all of your Meatless Monday needs. These 16 fried tofu recipes are an amazing place to start. Best of all, fried doesn’t have to mean unhealthy!
1. Carrot Cashew Zoodles With Crispy Sesame Tofu: If you’re craving something fresh, colorful and satisfying, this bowl of zucchini noodles is where it’s at. It’s topped with a fresh veggie stir fry, crunchy cashews and crispy sesame tofu. So scrumptious, you won’t believe it’s healthy. (via Justine Celina)
2. Kitsune Nabe: True comfort can always be found in a huge bowl of steamy stew. Now imagine that stew with miso, hearty vegetables, quail eggs and pillowy fried tofu. That’s what you get when you serve this stunning Japanese Kitsune Nabe. (via Diversivore)
3. Funky Green Tacos: These gorgeous tacos are a nod to eating food because it tastes good. They just happen to also contain a bunch of greens. Savory fried tofu is mixed with tender caramelized bok choy with tamari and honey, velvety avocado, crunchy pickles and a spicy sauce that adds the perfect amount of smokiness. (via Earthy Feast)
4. Ham and Cheese Fried Tofu Pockets: Goodbye to hot pockets as we once knew them; this is what we need to shove into our pie holes. These crispy, puffed-up fried tofu pockets are filled with mozzarella cheese, shredded cabbage and ham, then smothered with mayo and soy sauce for a lunchtime treat nobody can resist. (via Pickled Plum)
5. Korean Barbecue Tofu Bowls With Stir-Fried Veggies and Quinoa: In this beautiful bowl, tofu soaks up the flavors of ginger, garlic, rice vinegar, sesame oil and soy sauce. Bonus: You also get the crunch from fresh vegetables like bell peppers and zucchini to make you feel extra-good about this healthy meal. (via Oh My Veggies)
6. Sunflower Seed Crusted Tofu: With a crispy coating that has subtle hints of garlic and tastes like roasted sunflower seeds, this golden tofu is served atop a fresh mix of arugula and romaine. Eat it as a salad or stuff it into a wrap for a nice light lunch or even a snack. (via Connoisseurus Veg)
7. Crispy Salt and Pepper Tofu: Sometimes a little salt and pepper is all a dish needs — and that is very much the case with this crisped tofu. Served with a cucumber chili sauce for dunking, they’re a perfect snack for cocktail hour. If you’re thinking dinner, serve them on a bed of rice and greens. (via Quite Good Food)
8. Vietnamese Rice Noodle Salad: When the summer heat makes eating a chore, nothing is as satisfying as a cool rice noodle salad tossed with fresh veggies and herbs — especially when dressed with a sweet and zesty lime dressing! For extra oomph, it’s garnished with Thai basil, mint and crunchy peanuts. (via Maikin Mokomin)
9. Forbidden Rice Stir Fry With Baked Teriyaki Tofu: A stir fry with rice isn’t normally something to get stoked about, but this one is different in the best way. With midnight-colored forbidden rice and spicy gochujang, this dish will bring some serious POW to your tastebuds. (via Healthy Nibbles and Bits)
10. Pan Fried Crispy Vegetable Tofu Dumplings: Great things come in small packages, and these crispy dumplings are proof. Stuffed with soft shiitake mushrooms, shredded cabbage, carrots, lightly fried tofu and sliced scallions, they’re perfect when dipped in your fave soy or chili sauce. (via Jessica Gavin)
11. Tofu Thai Green Curry: This vibrant dish brings some super fresh flavors to the table. The fried tofu is added to a smooth and silky curry sauce made with coconut milk, Thai green curry paste, ginger, garlic, chili and vegetable stock. The heat in the dish can easily be tamed or cranked up depending on your preference. (via Harriet Emily)
12. Buttermilk Fried Tofu Tacos With Jalapeño Lime Yogurt Cabbage Slaw: Bathed in buttermilk, strips of fried tofu are placed on a crispy shell and topped with slaw, chopped avocado and sweet mango. Brace yourself for a bite that is crispy, crunchy, creamy, juicy, spicy, tart and sweet — all at once! (via Snixy Kitchen)
13. Tofu Pho: Traditional Vietnamese pho has a beef stock base and, well, that doesn’t work for a vegetarian. But where there’s a will, there’s a way! This un-pho-gettable vegetarian twist on pho brings all the right components and flavors to this broth, so your vegetarian buds don’t have to miss out. (via Sprinkled Side Up)
14. Spinach Hummus Wrap: Fried tofu isn’t just for stir-fries, salads and tacos. With the addition of hummus and veggies, you can create a delicious and filling wrap that makes for a great lunch or light dinner. (via Delish Knowledge)
15. Kimchi and Tofu Lettuce Wraps: Lettuce wraps are a great way to decrease your carb intake and increase your veg intake. In theory it might sound boring, but in practice, it’s anything but! The dry-fried tofu in these wraps give us the savory flavors we crave, while the kimchi brings just the right touch of heat. (via Plant Crush)
16. Miso Ramen With Tofu: This tasty ramen bowl, put together with shirataki noodles instead of traditional ramen noodles, offers hints of garlic, soy sauce, ginger, lemongrass and sesame oil, and a wee bit of heat from our beloved Sriracha. Build on this dish with your favorite veggies for a very filling meal on those rainy summer afternoons. (via Bijoux and Bits)
Looking for more Meatless Monday inspiration? Follow us on Pinterest.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)