Morning Buzz! Michelle Obama’s Carpool Karaoke Is Here and It Is Glorious + More
From a rapping First Lady to more #squadsupport for Taylor Swift, check out six of today’s top news items below.
1. Is this the Carpool Karaoke to end all Carpool Karaokes?! The teaser video released earlier this week showed The First Lady channeling her inner Beyoncé, and in the full thing we get to see some seriously impressive rapping skills as Michelle does Missy Elliott’s classic “Get Ur Freak On” — with Missy herself. Many a failed IRL karaoke attempts confirm that this is not an easy one to pull off, and Missy says even she was surprised. “I know for a fact that it was all over my face like, ‘Wait, is she rapping this?’,” she tells People. “But that goes to show you just how cool she is. People hold her in such a high regard — as you should — but she’s so down to Earth. I was just sitting in the back like, ‘I gotta be dreaming. This ain’t even real. Is somebody going to wake me up and say, ‘You overslept.'” Being able to sing along to tunes was a treat for Michelle too: “I rarely get to listen to music in the car,” she says to James Corden in the clip. “I’ve been in a car — maybe it was months ago — with my daughter, learning to drive. That was the only time in seven and a half years that I’ve been in the passenger’s seat listening to music, rocking out like this.”
2. Taylor’s squad member Uzo Aduba has some encouraging words for her friend in the face of Kim Kardashian drama. It’s been four days since Kim leaked footage of Taylor giving Kanye permission to rap about her in “Famous,” even if it feels like a lifetime. While some squad members immediately took to social media to defend their friend, others have been quiet. But at a premiere for her new movie Tallulah, Uzo Aduba said Taylor would rise above the drama, telling Vanity Fair, “She’s a beautiful person and strong.” With friends like this, we don’t doubt it.
3. The RNC has gifted us so many new meme-ories. This week’s plagiarism scandal from the RNC might have left you feeling like it couldn’t possibly be topped, but last night’s appearances contained so much meme gold. From Ted Cruz getting booed after refusing to endorse Donald Trump to a quite questionable wave from Laura Ingraham, even if you were only following along on Twitter, you were entertained/frightened to your very core. But best of all? Trump attempting an awkward half-kiss with VP nominee Mike Pence, a sight you will never unsee. You’re welcome. (Photo via Alex Wong/Getty)
4. An indie designer is claiming that Zara ripped off her work, and it’s all so disappointing. We love you, Zara, but this is not a good look. LA-based illustrator Tuesday Bassen has opened up about her ongoing battles with the Spanish retail giant, posting side-by-side photos of her work and Zara’s offerings, and we gotta say, it looks pretty damning. “I had my lawyer contact Zara, and they literally said I have no [case] because I’m an indie artist and they’re a major corporation and that not enough people even know about me for it to matter,” Tuesday said in an Instagram post. She said she’s received messages from several other designers who have also been plagiarized by the company. Tuesday will continue the legal process, even though, as she said, it “sucks and it’s super disheartening to have to spend basically all of my money, just to defend what is legally mine.”
5. We have all been this dog getting impatient while waiting in the car. This smart Russian pup couldn’t wait a minute longer for her owner to return and started blaring the horn with its little paw, even howling along with the sound of the horn. The owner is heard giggling as he returns to the car, surely a little embarrassed, but mostly, we hope, really proud.
6. Quote of the day: “This morning, I got a text from Heather Matarazzo saying ‘Of course Garry left on a full moon.’ If you know Garry, that he went out when there should be darkness and instead there is full, rare, magic light, is too perfect to be coincidence.” The Princess Diaries stars pay a beautiful tribute to director Garry Marshall, who passed away earlier this week.
Have you been guilty of a tantrum like the adorable pup above? Tell us your impatient truth over @BritandCo!
(Featured photo via Mark Wilson/Getty)