Morning Buzz! Selena Gomez Debuts a Jaw-Dropping New Look + More
Happy hump day, everyone! From Selena Gomez’s shocking hair transformation to Hilary Swank’s sad announcement, here’s all the buzz you need to know to start your day right.
1. Selena Gomez has BANGS, y’all! It seems like EVERYONE — and we do mean everyone — is switching up their hair these days. From Xtina with her newly minted Jessica Rabbit red to Victoria Beckham with her brand new bob, there’s no shortage of celeb hair reveals as of late. Selena Gomez is the newest member on that list with the brand new bangs she debuted on stylist Marissa Marino’s Instagram. Simply titled “Bangin,” the singer’s locks are also noticeably lighter, but it’s the face fringe that has us absolutely captivated. Looking good, girl!
2: Hilary Swank and Ruben Torres call off their engagement. Annnd another one bites the dust. Despite getting engaged just three months ago with an Instagram announcement that has since been deleted, Hilary Swank and now ex-fiance Ruben Torres have officially called off their engagement. No reason has been given for the split, but judging from the sheer volume of recent couple breakups (*cough cough* Demi and Taylor), maybe it was inevitable? Bad things are said to happen in threes, after all! (Photo via Pascal le Segretain/Getty)
View this post on Instagram
Last night, the @yogahosers went to Prom! @harleyquinnnn_ & @lilyrose_depp had dates of course but (ever on guard for thee) they were there strictly to chew bubble gum and squish Bratzis! And from all reports, they were all out of bubble gum... #harleyquinnsmith #lilyrosedepp #yogahosers #thecolleens #prom #losangeles #harleyquinn
A post shared by Kevin Smith (@thatkevinsmith) on
3. Lily Rose Depp does prom. Though dad Johnny is embroiled in some heavy controversy ATM, his daughter, Lily Rose Depp, proves she’s just your average teenager at heart, attending prom alongside the rest of her classmates. Seen in this photo posted by @thatkevinsmith, Lily looks beautiful in a peach snakeskin gown. “Last night, the Yoga Hosers went to prom!” wrote the upcoming film’s director, Kevin Smith, on his Instagram page. “@harleyquinnnn_ and @lilyrose_depp had dates of course, but they were strictly there to chew bubble gum and swish Bratzis!” Kevin said, a reference to one of the film’s characters. Good for you, Lily.
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by 𝐆𝐡𝐨𝐬𝐭𝐛𝐮𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐬 (@ghostbusters) on
4. Today is national Ghostbusters day. Whether you’re a superfan of the 1984 original or are chomping at the bit for the upcoming reboot (July 15) starring Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig, Kate McKinnon and Leslie Jones, today is a day to revel in all things Ghostbusters — OGs Bill Murray, Dan Akroyd, Ernie Hudson and Annie Potts will join the ladies of the new class tonight on Jimmy Kimmel Live.
5. This 12-year-old girl is being dubbed the next Taylor Swift. Armed with a ukulele and one hell of a voice, Grace VanderWaal completely blew us — along with judges Simon Cowell, Heidi Klum, Howie Mandel, Mel C. and, oh, the rest of the world — away with this America’s Got Talent audition vid.
6. Quote of the day: “Take whatever it is you like about yourself — even if it’s your pinky toes — and walk around every day saying, ‘You know what? I have really great pinky toes.’ Eventually that positive feeling will seep into every part of who you are, and the people around you will see it too.” Orange Is the New Black star Uzo Aduba in an essay for Seventeen magazine. (Photo via Anthony Harvey/Getty)
Are you a fan of Selena’s new look? Let us know over @BritandCo!
(Photo via Frederick M. Brown/Getty)
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.