Morning Buzz! Stranger Things Wins Best Show and Their Speech Will Remind You Why You Love Them So Much + More
The Stranger Things kids make us sob and 13 Reasons Why makes things official for season two in this morning’s top news items. Check those and more out below in Monday’s Morning Buzz!
— MTV (@MTV) May 8, 2017
1. Stranger Things is the first show to win the Best Show award on the previously named MTV Movie Awards, now of course known as the MTV Movie and TV Awards. When receiving the top honor of the night, Finn Wolfhard, who plays Mike, thanked the shows creators for treating the young cast “like true collaborators and not just little kids.” SOB. As if the heart-tugging (and adorable!) speech wasn’t enough, the award was presented by the cast of 13 Reasons Why, making one of the best TV mash-ups of the year.
For the record, I wear what I want, when I want. News flash it's
MY body. #thankstho
— Chrissy Metz (@ChrissyMetz) May 8, 2017
2. Chrissy Metz shut down body shamers with the biggest virtual eye-roll ever and it was amazing. After her appearance at the MTV Movie and TV Awards in a blood-red latex dress, the This Is Us star must have received some unnecessary remarks about her appearance, because she tweeted the most perfect clap-back reminding haters that they don’t get a say in how she feels about herself. “For the record, I wear what I want, when I want,” she wrote. “Newsflash it’s MY body. #thankstho.” DEAD.
— 13 Reasons Why (@13ReasonsWhy) May 7, 2017
3. 13 Reasons Why has officially been renewed for a second season. Although there have already been some pretty substantial details teased for season two, the hit (and controversial) Netflix show was just officially renewed. The news was announced with a short teaser featuring memorable locations from the first season, like the school, the coffee shop, Baker’s Drug store, the Crestmont Theatre, and more. No date has been given, but you know we’ll be the first to tell you when there is one.
4. Twitter can’t decide who’s hotter: new French president-elect Emmanuel Macron or Canadian PM Justin Trudeau. LOL. Not long after Sunday’s election projections showed a Macron victory, Twitter was ALL over this one. “Let the Macron-Trudeau fan fiction begin,” user @jaimewoo tweeted. “Justin Trudeau has called Emmanuel Macron to concede in the race for Sexiest G7 Leader,” wrote Business Insider’s Josh Barro, while the @TrudeauGoogles parody account didn’t miss a beat with a quick “is macron hotter than me.” We’ve got years to figure this one out, y’all. (Photo via Jeff J Mitchell/Getty)
5.If bonkers Oreos flavors are your thing, why not make your own? The long-awaited Firework Oreos are available in stores TODAY, and with it comes the announcement that you can choose the next flavor. Ellie Kemper came up with mango-coconut, which, WOULD, and you can enter your own idea using the #MyOreoCreation #Contest hashtags. The prize is even sweeter than the cookie: $500,000 and “unprecedented fan access to top-secret Oreo creations.” YES PLEASE. (h/t People)
6. Quote of the day: “Empathy and the ability to use your imagination should have no limits.” Emma Watson gives props to MTV for their genderless award categories at the MTV Movie and TV Awards, where she won for best actor in a movie.
What do you think of eliminating genders in award categories? Let us know @BritandCo!
(Featured photo via Kevork Djansezian/Getty)
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)