28 Getaways ALL Moms Will Love for Mother’s Day
Despite how little we’d like to admit it, let’s face it: Mothers do know best. They teach us how to succeed and how to get past our mistakes (hello, college years!), and always see us in the best light. Instead of the standard Mother’s Day brunch and potted plant, go above and beyond for your mom this year by embarking on a weekend adventure in your local area. Scroll on for a few of our favorite ways to cater to your mom’s interests and explore your region this Mother’s Day.
For the Baker
1. Macaron Parlour (New York City, NY): With two locations in the NYC area, Macaron Parlour diverges from standard macarons and offers flavors like s’mores, candied bacon and cheetos (we’re not even kidding). Sign up for one of their three-hour classes to learn the tricks of the trade and take your handmade goodies home.
always a good idea.
4. Give Me Some Sugar (Chicago, IL): Dedicated to cake artistry, Give Me Some Sugar hosts a number of classes for cake decorating, including the basics, fondant mastery, cake pops and even DIY candy bars (swoon!). You can take one of their weekly classes or reserve the entire bakery for a private baking lesson.
For the Yogi
6. Love Yoga Fest (Cape Cod, Mass.): Love Yoga Fest is a weekend-long festival that brings yogis and different yoga vendors from around the country to the Cape Cod area to meet and perfect their Scorpion pose. Bring some extra dough to get Mom the new mat she’s been dreaming of.
8. Om Sanctuary (Asheville, NC): This gem nestled in the Blue Ridge Mountains offers several different meditation-based programs, including yoga and qigong. Asheville has been a longtime haven for local artisans and artists, so build some time into your trip to explore the area.
For the Hiker
11. Mammoth Cave National Park (Mammoth Cave, KY): With over 400 miles of explored caves, Mammoth Cave National Park is home to the largest cave system in the world. Whether you’re there for the history, the geology or just to see the sights, they offer tours that will fit yours and Mom’s interests perfectly.
For the Antique Lover
acres of tents to peruse, you may need to stay a few extra days for Mom to enjoy the full event. (Photo via Roundtop Marburger)
For the Architect
18. Charles Riverboat Company Architecture Cruise (Boston, MA): Get a glimpse of historic and contemporary Boston on the Charles Riverboat Company architecture cruise. Their guides will share information about beautiful buildings like Marriott’s Custom House, the Prudential Building and the Hancock tower.
19. First Lady River Cruise Tours (Chicago, IL): Chicago comes alive during the summer, and there is no better way to celebrate the season than with a cruise down the Chicago River. You’ll learn first-hand about classics like the Wrigley Building and modern masterpieces like the Trump Building from tour guides certified by the Chicago Architecture Foundation.
top tourist destination by Conde Nast for several years running. This walking tour will take you through the winding cobblestone streets, historic quarters, beautiful homes and maybe even a few ghost hauntings.
and retractable roof stadium in North America. (Photo via Stephen Mellentine)
For the Sports Fan
For the Artist
26. Metropolitan Museum of Art (New York City, NY): One of the premier art museums in the entire world, the Met will stun Mom with over two million works of art, including the designs in the new Anna Wintour Costume Center. Splurge on the audio tour, so she can learn exactly why Picasso was so blue during his Blue Period.
27. Detroit Institute of Arts Museum (Detroit, MI): The Motor City may be known for housing greats like Henry Ford, Aretha Franklin and the “Real Slim Shady,” Mr. Marshall Mathers, but it’s also home to an extensive art collection at the Detroit Institute of Arts Museum. In addition to American, European and contemporary art, the DIA is known for its huge collection of African, Asian, Native American, Oceanic, Islamic and ancient art.