10 Shows and Movies to Stream This Weekend
It’s about this time of year that everyone starts to forget about TV. The weather is nice, there are outdoor parties to attend and refreshing cocktails to sip. But don’t let the siren song of almost-summer lure you away from your weekend binge sesh. You can blame your absence from the outside world on seasonal allergies or, if you’re feeling particularly productive (go you!), say you need to stay in and work out… to your favorite TV show, of course. No matter what you decide to tell everyone you’re doing, we’ve got your list of the top 10 things to watch this weekend.
1. Chelsea: Chelsea Handler and Netflix are entering territory where no man (guess it took a #girlboss) has gone before: Netflix content on a schedule. Handler’s new talk show, which premiered on Wednesday, will come out with new episodes three times every week. Buckle up: If there’s one thing we can expect from Handler, it’s that she’s going to blow away our expectations. (Photo via Netflix)
2. Mr. Show With Bob and David: If you don’t know Bob Odenkirk and David Cross, you definitely know their work. Odenkirk was in Breaking Bad and stars in Better Call Saul and Cross is from the beloved Arrested Development. As a sketch comedy duo, they’re hysterical, really weird and thoroughly delightful. (Photo via IFC)
PARTY LIKE IT’S 1992
3. Bitter Moon: Nobody can do beautiful horror films that make you forget you’re watching a horror film quite like Roman Polanski. Example: Rosemary’s Baby. His 1992 flick about a couple with a bizarre twist just landed on Netflix and Hulu. Starring Hugh Grant, it’s worth a stream if you’re in the mood for a highbrow thriller mixed with 50 Shades of Grey sex appeal. (Photo via Columbia Pictures)
4. Strictly Ballroom: If you haven’t seen Strictly Ballroom yet, carpe the weekend and finally watch it. The beautiful Baz Luhrmann-directed flick will do nothing but exacerbate your itch to sign up for ballroom dancing classes — or make you believe that you’re secretly a ballroom star. (Photo via Amazon)
PERIOD PIECE DRAMAS
5. The Red Violin: Ask any musician and they’ll tell you that instruments are deeply personal things. This Oscar-nominated drama follows a violin over three centuries and through all its various owners. If you never thought that a movie about a violin could make you cry, think again. (Photo via New Line International)
6. Julian Fellowes Presents Doctor Thorne: If you loved Downton Abbey, the party just keeps going in Doctor Thorne. It’s got the same drama, high-society homes and stunning costumes we loved in the PBS classic. And, by the looks of things, the new show is going to be just as addictive. (Photo via Amazon)
7. Mistress America: Some minds were made to be put together. Greta Gerwig and Noah Baumbach are two such cases. Together, they’ve made such masterpieces as Frances Ha and Greenberg. This time, their movie is about a college freshman in New York who goes a little off the rails with her stepsister. The result is a funny and sentimental film that’s equal parts hysterical and thought-provoking. (Photo via HBO)
8. Peep World: This is one of those movies that’s required viewing for any comedy buff. It’s about a dysfunctional-family that unravels when everybody comes home for the patriarch’s 70th birthday. The all-star cast includes Rainn Wilson, Sarah Silverman and Kate Mara, and it will definitely make you feel better about your own wacky fam. (Photo via Netflix)
CELEBRATE THE FEMALE FAM
9. Nothing Left Unsaid: Everybody’s favorite
silver fox CNN news anchor produced a stunning and heartfelt documentary on his relationship with his mother, the legendary and glamorous Gloria Vanderbilt. For those who don’t know her remarkable life story, the film is definitely worth a watch. For those who do, you’ll get an intimate look into one of America’s most intriguing family dynasties. And lots of Anderson Cooper. (Photo via HBO)
10. The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants: Probably the most important news on this entire list: Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants has landed on Netflix, and you never have to feel like there’s nothing to stream again. C’mon, it’s a classic! Lena goes to Greece, Tibby gets a bummer job, Carmen delves into her emotional relationship with her father and Blake Lively hooks up at soccer camp. Classic. (Photo via Alloy Entertainment)
What else are you doing this weekend? Drop us a line and let us know @BritandCo!
(Featured photo via Getty)
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)