We adored testing out Selena Gomez’s ah-mazing beauty tips — but now it’s time to turn our attention to the queen of boho LA style, Nicole Richie. We love the multitasking star for many reasons, but let’s just say that her bold hair history, laid-back CEO style, and the earth-savvy pearls of wisdom she drops definitely don’t hurt. Here are 12 beauty lessons we’ve picked up from Nicole Richie.
for your hair
1. Keep it simple. Even with a history of frequent hair change-ups (we’ll never forget her lilac-silver grombré), Richie’s hair philosophy is surprisingly simple. As she shared with W. Magazine, “Choose one thing to do to your hair. If you are going to bleach it — that should be your one thing.”
2. Avoid direct heat. Glamour got to the bottom of Richie’s damage-proof straightening method, “I sit under [a hood dryer] with rollers. Then, I wrap my hair to keep the direct heat off it.” Try out her method with an at-home version like Laila Ali Hard Bonnet Salon Hair Dryer ($50).
3. Rely on your trusted brands. W. Magazine got the scoop on Richie’s good-hair-day trifecta: First, she washes and conditions using Kevin Murphy Young.Again.Wash ($31) and Rinse ($37), then she follows up with The Honest Company Truly Restored Leave-In Conditioner ($24).
for your skin
4. Stick to your regimen. Richie rarely strays from her regimen of Biologique Recherche products — unless it’s to incorporate a homemade face scrub. InStyle revealed that the luxe French brand’s sunscreen, Biologique Recherche Protection U.V. ($132), is also the sun-lover’s go-to SPF.
5. Watch out for those rays. Richie makes it a point to protect her face with a sunhat or sunnies — like these House of Harlow 1960 SS17 ($250). According to W. Magazine, her dermatologist told her to stay out of the sun.
6. Moisturizer is the key. Even when she breaks out — yup, it really does happen — the unconventional lady moisturizes pimples instead of drying them out. Style Caster shares that she spot-treats blemishes with hydrating toner, Biologique Recherche Lotion P50V ($65), which cues her body to stop overproducing oil.
for your face
7. Forget foundation. Instead of pore-clogging liquids and powders, the fashion girl keeps her face fresh — other than dabbing her all-time favorite concealer, Clé de Peau Beauté Concealer ($70), under her eyes. Richie told Coveteur, “I am all about a moisturizer, not foundation.”
8. Makeup should be minimalistic. On her minimalist mindset when it comes to cosmetics, she told Coveteur, “I have to give my skin breaks and room to breathe.” That’s why her daily cosmetics routine includes only two items: a dab of under-eye concealer and the mascara she reps, Urban Decay Troublemaker Mascara ($24).
9. A red lip is irresistible. When our girl gets her glam on for red carpet photo ops, she often rocks sooty lids and a neutral lip. But for those days when she craves a red lip, Bustle spilled that Nars Lipstick – Heatwave ($28) is her most-cherished tube.
for your body
7. Dryness is the enemy. The fashionista never skips out on applying lotion. InStyle gives us a glimpse of her moisturizer routine, which includes exfoliating gloves for the shower and Kiehl’s Creme de Corps ($75), followed by CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion ($14) if she’s extra-dry.
8. Grapeseed oil = the holy grail. Richie swears by grapeseed oil — 365 Everyday Value Grapeseed Oil ($4) is one of her faves — to lock moisture into her skin. NY Times reports that post-shower, she adds oil, honey, and soy milk to her body lotion for a nourishing treat for her skin.
9. Eat clean and drink lots of drink water. Richie’s ultimate beauty hack is that she’s a green devotee, growing her own veggies at home. As she told InStyle, “[T]he older I get, it’s more about what I’m putting in than what I’m putting on.” Word. Test your green thumb à la Richie with a Miracle-Gro AeroGarden Harvest Elite ($155).
10. Sanitizing hand spray is a must. Virgo that she is, Richie shared her entire 15-minute travel routine for fighting germs with New Beauty. To protect herself from airport nastiness, she brings latex gloves and keeps EO Hand Sanitizer Spray ($3) on-hand.
11. Bring a universal salve to protect, heal, and moisturize dry lips. Another soldier in her travel beauty toolkit? Lucas’ Papaw Ointment ($8). She called the cult-favorite, hydrating, and healing lip balm beauty’s “most underrated” beauty product, according to W. Magazine.
Whose beauty secrets do you want to know? Tell us on Pinterest!
Brit + Co. may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
(Featured photo via Getty)