20 Ways to Dip Your Wedding Day in Dots
In theory, wedding planning should be totally fun. Cake, stylish invitations, centerpieces… all things we love. But even if you’re the chillest of chill brides, all the grunt work can quickly become daunting. That’s why we’re all for a themed wedding! But not like the cheesy tropical kind. Think more of a crisp striped ceremony or a day dipped in gold. Adding a theme can make planning elements so much simpler. No longer will you blindly browse wedding invites — you need a geometric wedding invite, and you need it now. If you’re on the hunt for a sweet and simple theme, a polka dot wedding is the solution for you, my dear!
3. Polka Dot Wedding Invitation ($73+): We love the human touch these imperfect dots give this invite. Not to mention the customizable envelopes and striped interior.
4. Polka Dot Mary Janes ($100): If you’re not up for a polka dotted dress but still want to incorporate the playful pattern into your outfit, shoes are the perfect way to do it. You can easily hide them under your dress or pull it up a bit to show them off!
5. Striped and Dotted Thank You Notes: Polka dots and stripes work together in a way that nobody can really explain. Both patterns are so simple, yet somehow when they come together it’s visual magic. (via Ruffled Blog)
8. Pom Pom Balloons: Because nothing says party quite like balloons. Add some color to your wedding palette with this quick balloon DIY. Use all different colors for something playful, or just one for a more refined look. (via Design Improvised)
9. Polka Dot Lanterns: Ditch the disco lamp, these cute lighting fixtures are all you need for your big day. If you can’t find any lanterns in a polka dot print, just grab some paint! This would be a super simple DIY project. (via Perfect Palette)
11. Paper Vases: If you’re looking to make your own centerpieces, this is a cheap, easy option. Find a milk jug/mason jar/thrift store vase (whatever works!) and use a fun colored washi tape to attach a paper printout. (via Weddings by Lily)
12. Gold Foil Polka Dot Backdrop: Because everyone knows nothing fun happened unless you Instagrammed it. Give guests a fun backdrop for getting their silly on. To create your own, simply cut out gold foil or contact paper circles and arrange them on a colored background of your choosing. (via Brit + Co)
13. Polka Dot Garland: Holy Mother of color! Sometimes bright, large polka dots like this can look a little cartoonish, but it totally works here. If it’s still a little bright for your taste just tone it down by only using two or three colors. (via Style Me Pretty)
14. Light Purple Paper Straws ($2+): That open bar is great. But you know what would make it even better? If you could be slurping down those free gin and tonics with an adorable dotted straw.
18. Polka Dot Aisle: So you really want to go for the polka dot theme? Do it big with a spotted aisle! We’re not totally sure how this stays in tact while the bride struts to center stage, but it sure does look pretty. (via Colin Cowie Weddings)
What do you think about a themed wedding? Any cool theme ideas you know of?
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.